Quantcast
Gearspace.com - View Single Post - soffit mounting speakers for mastering
View Single Post
Old 25th February 2004
Barefoot Sound

I hear what you're saying, but I AM trying to point out what is what is technically and sonically better. Just because there's a "best known method", doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. And I think there is a very good reason why freestanders dominate. In my opinion, the majority of great speaker design innovations over the past decade or so have come from hi-fi manufacturers (certainly B&W is on the top of that list). And of course, the consumer market dictates freestanding speakers. So, MEs looking for the very best sounding speakers are naturally going to gravitate towards these products.

In this case, however, some of the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. Old school monitors are out and the new school is in. The new school by virtue of their heritage happen to be freestanding, so soffit mounting must not sound as good... right? Well, I'm saying "not right". Yes, the newer generation of hi-fi type monitors sound much better than the old style soffited monitors, but this doesn't mean that soffits were the problem. The pro speaker designs themselves were the problem (and in many cases still are).

Thomas