Quantcast
Gearspace.com - View Single Post - soffit mounting speakers for mastering
View Single Post
Old 24th February 2004
Craneslut

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally posted by barefoot
The figure-8 radiation pattern of a dipole can help with side wall reflections, but not with front wall reflections. And if you download my wall bounce calculator, you'll see that front and side wall reflections cause response ripples well above 1kHz for a 43cm wide cabinet. These dipole woofers only go up to 200Hz. So these speakers deal with about 3 octaves of midbass and midrange response no better than a normal enclosed speaker. Finally, dipoles have a natural 6dB/octave bass response drop due to front/rear wave cancellation. This requires a low pass compensation filter to flatten the response. Which means very high power consumption and extremely large driver excursions. The net result is lower sensitivity and higher bass distortion.
Yeah, the tech stuff is nice, but how do they SOUND?

Quote:
No matter how you cut it, soffit mounting results in the fewest compromises.
I know you make soffit mounted speakers, so it's understandable that you feel that way, but don't you think if it were that cut-n-dried that:
1] You'd see more mastering rooms using soffit mounted speakers, and
2] There would be more than a handful of speaker builders selling them?

Rhetorical questions, mind you. We've been through this before, and the best sounding rooms I have ever heard (and I've heard very many) were utilzing free standing monitors, with possibly one exception (GM's old room)...