View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2017 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
Look as I said earlier I don't think a cheap Model D desktop clone would have any impact on Moog the brand or people who want to pay that money for a Moog, people will always support brands they align themselves with. Tbh I don't believe half of what these manufactures say about making these things by hand, in fact I'm almost sure most are machine made and there is just some light final assembly and testing, they call this being hand made and people fall over themselves to spend wild amounts of money because they believe it was 'hand made'.. a mate of mine actually has a Mini and took some pics of the pcb and claims most of the innards are machine made...I'm not that tech savy but these are the pics of his Mini he sent me..

You're being awfully pedantic about this. I know it'd be hard since you're in Australia, but I'd suggest actually going and seeing the Moog factory. No, they're not whipping up PCBs by hand, but there is an American assembling and testing these by hand, which I can support.

Same thing with DSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Are they ?
Yes - since Bob Moog died, they made some cool gear (Sub37 my favorite), but the Reissue is just milking the old legend - not a lot of innovation there, with proper schematic and a source for parts a young tech student would do the same and maybe add some more features.
Also Moog prices were always a bit "we are shafting the customer, because we are the great Moog".
There are two ways of looking at re-issues - either it's giving customers what they want, which seems to be working - or it's 'milking an old legend'. They've come out with some cool stuff - I really like the Sub Phatty, the Mother-32 is a really fun way to get your feet wet in semi modular, and the AniMoog app is really fun.

It's always been a boutique company. And, it's partially employee owned, so I am totally cool with that.