30th June 2014

Amphion One15 - Pair by squizz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Amphion One15

So a couple months ago I was in the market for some new nearfields, and could not really find any thing I loved. I've owned or worked extensively on all the usual suspects over the past few years, (Adam S3a's and S4a's, Jbl 4328's, NS10's, Lipiniski 505's, Tannoy DMT's, Genelecs, Dynaudio BM series, Proacs and a few other in spots) but nothings really stuck for me. All have had plus's and minus, Dynaudio's being the only constants; mostly cause i'm a fan of the tonality. I started researching studio monitors to see if anything fulfilled all or at least most of my requirements. I've always felt the quality I want and what I think is acceptable to pay for near-fields never seems to line up. I figured i would start my search in the audiophile blogs, thinking maybe i'd find something a little outside of the box that suited my need. I stumbled across a company named Amphion with great reviews everywhere. I researched them a bit and found a number of mastering studios and Bruce Swedien with these Amphion speakers, which peaked my interest some.

I decided to shoot them an email. The company owner Anssi got back to me immediately. After a couple emails back and forth he asked what exactly i'm looking for in a studio monitor. I replied "something with extreme clarity/detail in the mid range, a soft yet detailed top end, and a strong emphasis on transient response. I'm also an ex-hiphop guy, so i do love a solid low end but its not of the utmost importance as my mains can give me an accurate representation there. I do not need these monitors to be particularly loud so much as detailed; being able to judge dynamics, balances and reverb trails are of the utmost importance. I'm essentially looking for my ideal speakers to mix on. I've come to find i prefer passive monitors, as all my favorite speakers seem to be passive and the ability to upgrade the amp to suit the sound I am after is a plus."

Anssi explained to me he believed his new studio monitor line would be an excellent fit and pointed me toward his One15 model to get me started (in later discussion with him, I mentioned wanting something semi portable cause i travel a bit, and like eliminating variables when I work in unfamiliar places. I'm trusted to produce some fairly important projects, consistency and efficiency are of the utmost importance.) and I figured I could add the bigger pair at a later date if fell in love with them.

Before I discuss the actually monitors, I must say dealing with the company Amphion particularly Anssi was a great a experience for me; simply based on the customer service alone my purchases was worth it. There was an issue with shipping that was completely my fault as I accidentally double booked NAMM/Grammy weekend, where I was suppose to pick my One15's up. Anssi saw the whole situation thru made sure I got the product and there were no issue (even with the 12 hour time difference between him and I). Also saw to it that i was happy with my purchase.

So now to the monitors. I first set them up in my office with a Crown K2 I had lying around, cause I was working on a project and did not want to swap out my monitors just yet. In just listening thru a few records the clarity can be a bit startling at first, alot like the Lipinski's; just not as boring sounding or overly clinical (not a dig at the Lipinski's at all, great speakers just not for me). I could hear all the reverb trails, I noticed all of the subtle dynamic and volume things in records I had studied for years.The big thing was I still could enjoy the music, it didn't feel lifeless. I was pretty excited to get them in my studio.

I got them set up in my production/mix room first. I had a mix to complete for this band i'm currently working on (indie rock band with EDM elements). First thing I noticed is they go surprisingly low for such a small speakers. Nothing over exaggerated in the bass region at all but I was able to clearly hear where everything sits in the bass region, on even the most bass heavy parts. I did not feel like i lost the much down there when switching to my midfields. Detail is the name of the game with these speakers from the top of the high end to the bottom of the low end.

First I pulled a few songs i'm familiar with just to familiarize my self with the monitors some in the new space. I then pulled up the mix and began hacking away at it. Immediately noticed I how much quicker I made choices with tones and instrument placement. Its not so much if its wrong it sounds bad but more I could hear clearly what effect each change made. With dialing in eq's, distortions and harmonic stuff, the smallest changes and side effects of such are very apparent. Since moving to working almost entirely "in the box" that has become more and more important to me, this is the one thing i missed after moving on from the Lipinski's. The huge difference here tho is these monitors do not sound overly clinically and the detail is in no way distracting. On the Lipinski's I would catch myself spending endless amounts of time fiddling with reverbs and compressors cause I could really hear the minute changes, but deciding what I liked best was fleeting.The One15's gave me that details but the way its present really makes the difference for me. They allow me to make those minute changes and get on with my decisions. I wish I could explain why or how this is better, but its one of those this you just have to experience for yourself. I believe the way they are voiced have a lot to do with.

Mix finished!! Balance and tones were the 100% on point and translated great when checking on other systems. My only complaint was I didnt experience what i was expecting in regards to micro dynamics, coming from lipinski's and NS10's things like setting compressors (especially plug in ones) were extremely easy (probably because they were sealed cabinets). Not to say the One15's were slouches by any means. They are better than my Dynaudios in that regard, just not quite where the other 2 monitors are in that area. Either way mix went well song came out surprisingly good considering this was my first time really getting into the monitors; I was sold.

However the real difference and special moment for me came in production and tracking. I usually do this primarily on my mid fields (custom built, Tannoy style dual concentric 3 way, dual 12" floor-standers), mainly cause they are relatively accurate, go extremely low, loud, and have a huge stereo field sweet spot. Basically there fun to listen for long periods of time. I do tend to switch back and forth from time to time to the my near-fields just to for accuracy and give my ears a rest. On my first tracking session with the One15's I switched over once and rarely switched back. This is where these speakers really shined for me. Again I was making better decisions faster, choosing better synth tones, dialing in my guitar tones quicker, even making some better arrangement and voicing decisions. And again doing all this quicker and more efficiently. While they are no where near as loud as my mid fields, the accuracy in the bass region does not make me feel as tho I'm missing any thing, when switching back and forth. In fact i only switch to the bigs when I wanted to listen loud, in a room filling sort of way. I just find i'm working ALOT more efficiently with these speakers, and for me at this stage that is a HUGE plus.

After a couple months of usage, and familiarizing my self with the Amphion One15's, I can honestly they are an indispensable a tool for me now. I love them, my staff loves them; I went from going back and forth on as many as 4 sets of monitors down to 2. I'm a working professional, and as much as I love gear, this is a business so every tool I keep and use daily is a tool that either helps make my final product better or helps me work faster; the One15's do both.

Note: I used the One15's with a few different amps, all sounded good but when I landed on one the newer Parasound amps, I noticed most of my micro-dynamic issues I mentioned earlier got significantly. To me the Bryston 4b and Parasound were my favorite amps. The difference was negligible between the 2 so I decided to stick with cheaper smaller option.

4th April 2015

Amphion One15 - Pair by aves

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Amphion One15

During the last 10years I mixed and recorded mostly on ns 10s, mackies824, ADAM p22, dynaudio bm6 and focal cms50 and cms40. Next to that I always was on the hunt for a more higher end pair and listened to most of whats out there in friends studios or stores but nothing really made me wanna buy it. The Amphions were a moody impulse buy based on hype and i actually was rewarded for that...

I bought a pair of Amphion one15 about 6 month ago with the amphion 100 mono blocks and their cables. They are hooked up to a dangerous source, that I use the DA of, connected with vovox cables. Service of amphion was outstanding, I had quite a complicated delivery situation but Anssi of Amphion made everything happen on point and was also very responsive to all my questions.

I used them already in different environments and till now they worked everywhere equaly well. I generally work low volume and sit very close to the speakers. The need to sit close to the speakers was the reason to choose the Amphions 15s over the 18s for now. Still, to me they require about 1-1,20m distance.

The speakers need a break-in time. First time turning them on was promising, but not a jaw dropping experience, but the more I listened to my reference tracks I was amazed how they naturally reveal everything that has to be revealed and they make different records sound very different, which is a main criteria for monitoring speakers to me, that a lot of speakers strangly don't meet.
Like other users stated, their real qualities start to shine when one works on them. Till now, i mixed or mastered several Albums on them and things went faster and more confident then ever. Mixing almost felt like putting together the puzzles of my two year old son.
It's my first pair of speakers where i don't have to keep any flaws in mind, that would have to be considered or to be compensated for. They are slightly mid forward, which i favour for mixing so on them I can just mix it like I hear it and in the end it works immediatley everywhere.
Instead of switching speakers, i more and more check other systems only at the very end and mixes translate.

I directly felt very comfortable with the highs,the mids and low mids.
The only learning curve was with the bass, but it is hard to say if I just know them better by now, or if the bass driver is broken in better.
Meanwhile I find it easier than ever to make bass and bass drums working with each other. There might be lower reaching speakers, but the level of separation and information about the amount and colour in the lows is great.

In general, the way these speakers define single elements and the spaces around them is marvelous and as far as I remember on par with expensive speakers like e.g. geithains, that I used to work on several times.
They are equally great to judge levels and distinct qualities of distortion, compression and coloration.

Some other speakers almost sounded broken, flat, grainy and wrong next to the Amphions. Not possible to get the same information from them.

On the one15, music comes together as a whole and I really have to support the claims that these speakers involve you emotionally into the music, not just being analytic tools.

They don't really go client impressing loud, but more than loud enough for any mix duties.
They also do keep their qualities at very low volumes, their high, bass and mid detail and depth and their impressive transient behavior.

The Amphions are by far the most confidence spending speakers I worked on till now. They perform excellent in all the important categories that i would rate mixing speakers in and they are fun, which makes them pretty much the ideal working tool to me.

2 weeks ago

Amphion One15 - Pair by Rourketown

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Amphion One15

Just a quick review of the One 15. First what they are and are NOT. These are not glory boxes or 'sweet' sounding monitors. These are tools for understanding and helping you know your mix. One of my favorite tricks with this monitor (powered via Crown K2) is as you turn it up loud (please be careful) if your bass and kick are too boomy or not mixed well the front and rear woofers will just CRAP OUT on you at a certain point giving you this farty sound you may mistake for a broken speaker. No, it's just your new monitors telling you your low end sucks, go back in, hi pass the kick and bass elements, resolve the kick and bass frequencies, make better choices. While your at, it bring up your favorite mixes that you feel are mixed well. Now try the same test, turning them up on the Ampions and stress test those mixes. You will see how pro mix & mastered tracks give you full bass without sapping the energy of the track. So now you just found your secret weapon for knowing where your low end is and you didn't need 10k of gear with a sub woofer - You're Welcome! Overall they are just flat, un hyped and my favorite aspect UN-DSP'd. Yea no computer algorithm and extra AD/DA after your converters. Just an indispensable nearfield monitor that will save you time and help you become a better tracker and mixer.