The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EVE Monitors sc205
4.8 4.8 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

A great 5-inch monitor with great value!

25th January 2014

Eve Audio SC205 by Alainc

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
EVE Monitors sc205

I am not an expert on studio monitors let me first put it this way. But I was in the market for a pair of 5 inch not too long ago and had a chance to compare the a5x, cms50, sc205 and the Neumann KH120a side by side at a local dealer.

We listened to Wagner's Flying Dutchman, Sondre Lerche and channel Orange on all of the monitors to have a sense of how they perform on the music styles that I work with.

The KH120a was the first pair I listened to and I was very impressed with the high's. It also gives the best sense of depth among all the monitors tested. The Wagner sounded particularly detailed on the Neumann (German heritage???)

The cms were particularly disappointing. Although hi's still formidable, the mid and low were quite blended. it shows in the channel Orange album. Bass lacks the punch it needed for such genre. Vocal wasn't particularly impressive and stereo imagining, although presence, wasn't as wide as I've found on other monitors. I also find the mid and low were quite colored and not suitable for extended period of monitoring.

it came to me as a surprise as cms were my initial first choice. this testing really put it out of the equation.

Then came the a5x and sc205. Their shared a similar vein in frequency response, especially in their mid and his. (later did I find out the history between the two companies) the a5x outperformed the sc in the mid range though by a margin. Bass is also more colored than the sc's.

I ended up choosing the sc205 though for the following reasons:

1) the bass is more natural and has more punch to it.
2) the hi is equally impressive if not better than the a5x
3) the pair is significantly cheaper than the rest of the group
4) it's overall more natural and less colored, giving the best monitoring experience
5) last thing that sealed the deal, stereo imaging and depth is a notch above all of the monitors tested.

I would have gotten the a5x if I was in the market for desktop speakers. But for the work I do, I would not hesitate to recommend sc205 to anyone as they provide a very good value against other contenders.

p.s. SC205 does not tolerate untreated room too well. The bass response was lousy when I put them in my newly set up project studio that has no acoustic treatment. But once I get the set up done, it starts to sound like a different breed, with silky smooth response throughout the spectrum.

13th May 2014

Eve Audio SC205 by monitorlove

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
EVE Monitors sc205

Tweaking plugins has mostly guesswork for me. Until now

Im really impressed by these small speakers. The clarity and detailing is an A+ . You can really hear lots of things you might not have heard in normal speakers. Faint clicks, pops... all those little things which the engineer managed to get away with
Soundstage is deep and spot on. No artficial widening or narrowing. Songs sound only as wide as they actually are. Some ambient artists like Tycho sounded really lush and wide. Some hardrock bands sounded clearly narrower.

For composing Eve gets an A+ . Because it can sound very pleasing if the elements are good and can sound dull to let you know that something is wrong. You'll know when you've made a good tone or if your EQ has hit a sweet spot. Mixing on them is also a joy.

Hardly any burn in required. Sounds great straight out of the box.

Really flat monitors and easier to work with because of less guesswork . I find myself relying less on other speakers. Ofcourse you'll need a 'hi-fi' perspective of things sometimes when mixing with any monitors.

Really inspiring monitors.

19th September 2014

Eve Audio SC205 by Vintageidiot

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
EVE Monitors sc205

While many strive to hear their music in the best of environments surely the need for the correct monitors comes in second. I had the great pleasure to demo the SC205 monitors in my writing room. The room is not treated, so the need for a nearfield monitor was paramount. In my studio nearby reside Genelec 1029a's and a 1091a sub, and unfortunately I do not spend much time there as that is where we work. My writing room is just that, a place to write. I set the SC205's atop my Tannoy Red's which now lay on their sides. I employed standard monitor isolation pads underneath to detach them from the Tannoys. I started with an 808 heavy song idea I have been working on at a pretty healthy volume. The Eve's did not squack or complain one bit. The bass sounded full and true to exactly how I had recorded/mixed it. It was not fake or dull, it was true to the source, a sample out of my library. The ribbon tweeter does a superb job of capturing what your source is, depth of field was incredible, and I deliberately had a thunderous reverb on one of the kicks. It was there, in all its glory, sounding a few feet back in the whole of the soundscape. Same for another song in which I had employed the PSA-1 on guitar. The chorus and delay was there, and it seemed a bit deeper than what I had experienced with my Gennies in the past. Here now, it was only the second time I had experienced such a perfect picture of how deep my reverbs go. I can honestly say that I want a set of these, and hope to hear the next series up with 8 inch to be sure that for a little more I could have THE perfect monitor for rattling the room. The only thing that bothers me with the Eve are the infinity knobs where you have to twist and twist to generate the 50 watts available on the SC205. But upon reaching your gain destination the results are wonderful. There is also the bass and treble attenuation/cut feature in the infinity knob that once you master the momentary hold and selection features allows you to cut or boost 3db, a nice feature for those who seek to tailor their monitors to their likes, or environment. Also nice was being able to shut the speaker off without reaching around for the power switch, a push/hold of the volume knob switches the digital amps into power down mode. Also, when powering up, the monitors gradually increase to the previous volume setting, giving you time to keep from blasting a client with uncomfortable levels. Overall, I really really dig these monitors. I write all sorts of material, both bass heavy and string laden, and that requires diversity. The Eve SC205 are comfortable in all of those situations, even 808 territory. I don't rattle rooms normally and wouldn't suggest doing so with this model. They are for clarity and do a fantastic job of it, along with some knock! I wish they were staying but alas, they are loaners. I hope to get a pair of Eve, and they have several models to choose from. Check them out, made in Germany....

19th March 2016

Eve Audio SC205 by tvlenthe

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
EVE Monitors sc205

I took the plunge to upgrade my desktop mixing setup from older, budget-priced Event TR5 which had seemed adequate for periodic mastering of multi-tracked concert recordings as well as casual listening. I had run these together with a powered sub set to 80 Hz crossover.

After reading many of the comments here I selected the Eve SC205 based on size, price and performance. (Sam Ash price matched the best price I found plus free shipping and 45 day return).

I just swapped the monitors out one for one (the SC205 are have actually slightly smaller dimensions than the TR5) on my Auralex pads and played a few tracks/mixes. All I can say is wow! I'm hearing things I've never heard before and feel I can really listen "into" the sound. ( I think I may have to rethink some of my past mixing choices.) There's an astounding "clarity" but not the in-your-face harshness.

I haven't experimented with any of the DSP settings yet, but did run some pink noise sweep tones to get a rough sense of balance. The bass to mid-range sweeps were completely smooth with no volume peaks or valleys (unlike the TR-5) in my untreated, multi-use room. I had to dial the sub crossover all the way down to 50Hz. These guys do plenty of bass down to that point. (Note that if you use these with a sub that you will need to fix the volume on the monitors, then set the crossover/balance. After that, you will need to control their volume through master feed to maintain the balance.)

I never knew what I was missing and can certainly appreciate what more experienced reviewers have said. I'm NOT going to need the 45 day return policy!

28th March 2016

Eve Audio SC205 by Woodhouse

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
EVE Monitors sc205

Ive had the sc205 for quite a long time now that I feel I can give a complete picture of how they are (without the specs) .
I have to say that these monitors have taught me a lot and made me a much better mixer over time. When I first got them I was new to this level of monitoring . The improvement has been dramatic . This ofcourse will not apply to those who already have very good setups and experience.

The 205s are not just mixing monitors. They perform well at many levels.
Being someone who does composing , recording , mixing as well as mastering for all my works , one of their main strengths to me has been the way they show the vibe of the final mix from an early stage itself while still retaining a neutral and analytical sound . This means a lot to me as it helps me be creative without having to worry about the accuracy . It helps me pick good tones which can make or break a song . A joy to come back to the studio every day and do music. Another of their strengths is how natural they can sound with good recordings . They also expose bad recordings extremely well. The presentation is very dependant on the production quality itself. Some tracks sound ok , some bad , while some records just make your jaw drop ! This is what true monitoring should be.
When you listen to commercial records , you can easily say the quality difference between the records , especially high frequency congestion (those ribbon tweeters!) and over-compression . They have made some of my previously favourite albums almost unlistenable because of these reasons.
Also the way you can hear the 'room' and such nuances is amazing .
Going on to the mixing part , I find 3 ft to be the best distance between them and yields the best mix results. I've tried them at various positions until now .
Room problems are very punishing on their bass response . So treatment in the room is an absolute must , especially bass traps. Their razor sharp imaging also gave me OCDs for a long time , making me obsess on whether or not I have the centre right in the middle of me. Ive grown over it now
This narrow high frequency dispersion infact helps in reducing the effect of the room's comb filtering But once I got the rockwool panels , the high frequencies have gotten very very sharp and dry. .

Mentioning about their weakness , the upper bass problems is not as easy to hear as the highs . Its there but in a softer way so I have missed it a few times only to come back to fix it again after cross referencing in my car .
For this reason I would say that you get the best results when you pair the eves with something like the auratones/avantones and the audio technica m50x. The m50x excels in revealing problems with the kick drum and the auratones will reveal a few more mid and upper bass problems . And you get flawless translation . Another thing worth mentioning is that it took me quite a long time to make sense of how to mix on these monitors . Once I learnt them they have become very easy to mix on.

All in all the eves are excellent all round monitors for artist cum mixers like me. To those considering buying them , Id greatly stress the need for room treatment and highly recommend pairing them with auratones/avantones and m50x.

14th March 2021

Eve Audio SC205 by Peter Pav

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
EVE Monitors sc205

These are very sweet sounding monitors, clear and crisp. They are especially detailed in the low mids. Bass guitar is incredibly clear and distinct. It's important to emphasize that though they only have 5 inch drivers, they are not lacking in bass. In fact, I think besides the overall clarity, the best thing about these monitors is that they deliver such a big full sound in a great compact size cabinet. I expect I will be having these monitors for a long long time.