DPA Microphones 5100 by mgoorevich
I have purchased a DPA5100 while having in my arsenal some high-end stereo pair mics. I have an MS rig MKH60/30, Stereo Pair MKH8040, LineAudio CM3, DPA4061 miniature stereo pair mics. There are also many other not paired mics, such as Schoeps, Sanken e.t.c.
However a DPA mic is one of the best mic for recording ambiences and I'll explain why.
1. It is truly surround, easily folded down to stereo if needed. I never use a .1 channel though. No phasing anomalies on the mix stage.
2. It is very light and robust. You can take it with you anywhere you go.
3. The plug & play connection is very important in the field, and it can be performed very fast thanks to a Lemo connector.
4. The sound quality is astonishing...and I am not getting astonished easily (see my mics collection). It colors the sound a bit due to its design but its very cinematic friendly and fits perfect along with other elements in the mix.
IMHO all mics are different or colorful e.g difference between Schoeps MK41 and Sennheiser MKH50 or 8050.
5. It is very forgiving to handling noise, thus recording may be made "on the ride"
6. It delivers very good results in a windy weather even without windjammer (I have one).
1. It is expensive, but the quality of this level doesn't come cheap.
2. The noise level of capsule maybe a bit high for quite room tones or require post noise reduction.
3. It's a shame that DPA doesn't include the mic holder (Rycote simple $35 handle).
4. DPA may consider to include an adapters from XLR male to mini 3 pin XLR to help to connect channel Rs to input 5 on Sound Devices 788T. I resoldered my unit.
5. I'd like to be able to open it. The mic is factory sewed.
6. In higher humidity becomes noisier. Some capsules are noisier than others.
DPA5100 is a beautiful sounding mic with great ergonomics and functionality.
No need for decoders either hardware or software, make this mic very easy to use. While falling in butique category, it's also built like a tank.
Go to the desert and record some heavy wind whistles in full 5.0 resolution, which will blow you away in the studio!