12th March 2012

Universal Audio Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plug-In Collection by Wesma

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
UAD Neve 1073/1073SE Classic Console EQ

The Neve 1073 EQ from UAD is a very nice EQ to add some vintage character to tracks. The 1073 is a 3-band EQ and high pass filter. I have been using this plug-in for over 6 months now and I must say it does sound very nice. I use this EQ mainly for character and very often in conjunction with other EQ’s for material that need more work. I love the 1073 on vocals.
The sound is certainly vintage as opposed to the more modern sounding 88RS which is smooth and silky. The 1073 has more edge and bite – if that makes any sense. The high shelf is very useful and can add some nice air to dull sounding tracks. The most impressive thing that I really like about this EQ is the low shelf. I really like it to add some low body to kick drums or sometimes an acoustic guitar. It is then often a good idea to use the parametric band to cut out some low mud and perhaps cut out the very low sub frequencies with the high pass filter. It is actually very hard to make anything sound bad with the 1073 although sometimes I wish it had an extra band.

When you get the 1073 you also get the 1073SE which takes up less DSP. It does of course not sound exactly like the full version but I find it useful – not so much when boosting.

I think the price for this plug-in is a little high but if you haven’t already got the Pultec pro and the Cambridge then it is a good idea to buy the Classic EQ bundle like I did.

17th March 2012

Universal Audio Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plug-In Collection by sensationblack

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
UAD Neve 1073/1073SE Classic Console EQ

UAD 1073 is one of my most used equalizer in my UAD arsenal. Its has great audio features that still amaze me every time I use, like it is the first time. Little bit of tech specification: 3-Band EQ, HPF & LPF. For the first time I used it I thought to myself, what I can do with a 3 band equalizer. Isn’t it a bit limiting? Well the answer off course is not. You can get great results with only 3 band eq. And you know what the greatest part of this vst is? It’s not a CPU hog, you can insert it on any channel in your mixer. With slate VCC and studer on every channel you will get this beautiful console that you never had.
I own UAD: Harrison, Trident a Range, 1073, Pultec, Massive and Brainworx. Neve 1073 has a unique ability that not one of the listed eq’s above doesn’t has. The ability to make separation in sound. I can’t really explain it, but the instruments sounds much clearer and separated in space, thus making better mixing. In contrast of Harrison,Trident and the Pultec which are “colored” eq’s that suppose to add “volume” to your sound, 1073 is more mixing oriented. You can use them both, meaning laying down a 1073’s first and then a colored eq’s.