23rd February 2012

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 by rogernumber2

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 1.5
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

I'm sure that Focusrite has a lot of quality gear but this is not one of them. Focusrite is great with support!! I mean really good! But this product was a budget piece that I think not a lot of time was invested in. Understandable but I put a 1 for bang-4-buck because in my opinion, I have lost as much time as it's worth. I like the 4 line outs and 2 line ins to be able to connect to other gear. There's no on/off switch so you plug/unplug it. You wouldn't find a picture of the 8i6 in the dictionary under "user friendly".

It goes up to 96k sampling rate (that's good). The driver is the biggest problem. I have used several updates of it and there's always some issue. At first it was the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Now I can't switch sampling rates without going in to my control panel every time. The mix control software that comes with it is a bit confusing and takes a bit of your time figuring it out.

Again Focusrite has great support! They helped me figure out a problem that I thought was a driver issue or defect in the 8i6 but it was something else I overlooked. And they have a good reputation and probably don't make any money on this budget interface. Anyways, I recommend another interface.

1 week ago

Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 by diaphone

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

The hardware is fine; well laid out, high-quality connections and smooth knobs. Very stylish anodized aluminum housing with overall good fit and finish.

The Focusrite Control software is adequate, but fairly basic and not super intuitive. It took me a little fiddling around with it to figure out how to route things, particular with getting my DAW mixed in, but overall not really too bad.