15th February 2012

Line Audio CM3 by mahasandi

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Line Audio CM3

This microphone is very close in quality to a schoeps mk21 which costs about 10x more???

so what gives well it is actually quite a cool story.
A guy in sweden makes them and has been doing so for decades.
They are low noise high quality wide cardiod (like omni but reject at 180 behind capsule)
I love there detail and imaging is phenomenal.
Many people have debated how this mic can be so cost effective and still sound so f---ing good, and believe me unitl you hear it it is easy to dismiss.
Then you hear it.
Wow the low end is very robust for a sdc and the mids have great detail.
It is very interesting in ortf it has an ability to capture the acoustics and retain imaging that is more vivid and precise then just omni.
The tone is the hardest part to fathom as its very close in family to a schoeps
now of course it is a different mic and has its own qualities, but at its price point I still can not quite believe it.
They are very small mics they are about an inch shorter then a km184 for example.
The perfom well both up close and at a distance, the latter getting much more of the acoustics then just a regular cardiod mic

Im so glad I have a pair and really could not recommend them more they are very flat not character mics but if the room has good sound they have a beautiful tone and pick up the good tones wonderfully.
I would say they are equal to the km184 in noise performance so very good
they come in cool little cases with an adapter and a windscreen.

Get them !!!!

16th February 2012

Line Audio CM3 by king2070lplaya

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Line Audio CM3

The Line Audio CM3's are wonderful little microphones that stand out from the crowd of budget small diaphragm condenser microphones.

It offers a balanced timbre, which is a rarity amongst its contemporaries
The sound is very full and, especially if you take the time to place for good proximity effect, can offer a VERY full sound.

Even at a distance, however, the mic doesn't lose much fullness, and has been very helpful to me as a main pair when it's small size was of benefit to keep the setup as visually small as possible, or when it's pickup pattern was best suited to capture the room accurately.

They do not offer quite as fast a transient response as more expensive options, which is one of my very few criticisms of them.

The pickup pattern at first was a bit troubling for me, as I was worried that in situations that required good isolation they would be a bit too open for use. However, as long as they are well aimed, they can be used quite effectively in these situations, and any bleed picked up by them is uniformally colored and quite pleasant.

On the whole these mics are a wonderful and very budget-friendly addition to any microphone cabinet, regardless of the style of music you are recording. I feel comfortable using them on pretty much any source and in any type of situation I find myself in. Wonderful little microphones.

I initially purchased two, but quickly added a second pair to my collection. Well worth the bucks!

29th February 2012

Line Audio CM3 by boojum

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Line Audio CM3

I have run these CM3 mics alongside the Schoeps CMC64. The CMC64 is a better mic but at a huge price differential. The Line Audio is a very good wide cardioid and is good enough for any application. It has good sound and imaging, is tiny, hardly bigger than an XLR connector, which means they are also unobtrusive. If you need a mic which is discreet and will still get the sound at a budget price you can't go wrong with these babies.

6th March 2012

Line Audio CM3 by Wesma

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Line Audio CM3

I bought 2 of these little microphones about 10 months ago after reading about it here on Gearslutz. I almost felt compelled to get them just based on the fact that a guy in Sweden, where I’m from, manufactures them. I really don’t regret that I did.
The Line Audio CM3 microphones are ridiculously cheap and they do sound amazing. I have used them when recording grand piano and got a really full and detailed sound when placing them in ORTF over the hammers. The thing that struck me first was how great the bass sounded and you can really use the proximity effect to your advantage with these ones.
I have also been using them a lot as drum overheads and I really love the results. In ORTF I got a really good balanced sound of the entire kit. The microphones are extremely natural sounding and not hyped in any way. The frequency response is extremely flat and the mics have great off axis response. When recording acoustic guitar with these as spaced pair, the sound was just beautiful.
The CM3 is extremely tiny and comes in a cheap plastic box including clip and windshield. If you want you can buy an optional elastic holder.
I must say that it seems like the guy making these doesn’t want to make money because if he did he could easily double the price and still sell as many – if not more because I think a lot of people gets scared off by the low price. Maybe I shouldn’t put ideas in his head.

19th August 2013

Line Audio CM3 by theozzy

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Line Audio CM3

I have just come from a pair of little blondies to these CM3's. I had been noticing with mixing that the blondies have a little harshness in the 2-3KHz range. I had been using them as overheads mainly. The blondies do sound great though, but I wanted something a little flatter and my research led me to the Line Audio CM3's.

Comparatively to the blondies, on drum overheads these CM3's sound very neutral across the spectrum with a smooth top that sounds great when boosted on overheads. There's a little self noise due to the capsule type, but a lot less than the blondies. They are well made and come in a nice case with clip and windshield. Speaking of which, I have found they are very sensitive to any air movement. On a recent recording occasionally I was getting 'bump's' from air movement from the ride which was about 2 feet below. This is also quite evident when talking into the mic from a distance of 6 inches and closer. They seem very sensitive in this regard, but the supplied wind shield eliminates all of this and placed with care without a windshield is not really a problem.

Compared to overhyped, fizzy toppy, crap like SE1A's and Rode NT5's, these really are very neutral and at a great price. They remind me a little in tone to Oktava MK-012. Buy with confidence.

28th January 2016

Line Audio CM3 by pencilextremist

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Line Audio CM3

these mics are unbelievably flat and very neutral for the price point,

there is simply no comparison, I use a pair of these for a lot of serious classical recordings, piano, classical guitar e.t.c

they make a great drum overhead pair as well! even though I have only tried it once.

the only thing much better are schoeps and DPA, but look at the prices!

this pair of mics cost me less than £200 and get's me at least 90% of the way there, and I use them regularly, especially on classical guitar in an XY configuration.

I would recommend them to anyone wanting a cardiod SDC pair that are very flat where you wan't to capture the sound as it actually sounds in the room.

They do have a tiny bit of colour and warmth too, whilst flat they aren't cold or stale sounding, similar in tone to schoeps.

13th September 2016

Line Audio CM3 by claymore

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
Line Audio CM3

I bought one of these wonderful mics based upon all the glowing reviews on this site. I could not have been more pleased with this amazing mic! It works so well for cymbals, snare drum, acoustic guitar and electric guitar and bass. However the really big surprise was the amazing rich tone I got when using it on male vocals! Normally I use LDC mics or a Shure SM7B, but the CM3 just blew me away.If you don't have one of these , go get one! If you own one please try it on vocals, you will need two pop filters as this mic if quite susceptible to plosives.