21st January 2012

Alesis Micro Limiter by dreambeats

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Alesis Micro Limiter

This is very simple dynamic processor from Alesis company.
It has only three controls -input(also a compression amount control),release,and output.This unit needs a rare 9v AC power adaptor.(not the DC one).
Mostly I would like to talk about sound of this unit-so,for the price,the sound is really good. This limiter reduce peaks in musical and listenable way.
I experimented with measuring release time,and i think that the shortest release time of Micro Limiter is around 70-100 ml sec-so,this unit is usable for tracking live instruments and vocals with large dynamic range.Peaks come out in quite constant level with some exceptions-wery short and sharp high frequency peaks stand out for about 1-2 db from the rest.
If you put, for example, a sampled Hip-Hop style kick thru this unit it tightens bass frequencies,increase volume,and if pushed harder ,also emphasize attack with a little clipping style character.
I also experimented with Micro Limiter as a master buss processor,and compared result with some very famous plugin limiters.For moderate limiting i prefere this unit-the sound was somehow more interesting and more "3D" than results from plugins.Maybe less acurate than plugins,but the low end was definetly tighter.