14th December 2011

Neumann TLM 49 by tribedescribe

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Neumann Tlm 49

I like the sound of Neumann mics. This cardioid only mic has professional quality all the way. My girlfriend has a soft sultry type of voice and this mic is perfect choice for her. Its detailed and can make her voice sound bigger. Through my Neve portico it is warm and takes eq very well. Through my daking mp1 this mic is good but it can get slightly harsh in certain tonal area's. This mic has excellent detail, Its almost like my ear is next to her throat, great for ballad stuff. I have also tried it out on a few other female vocalist and it has alway's rocks. The key to using this mic is understanding the Proximity effect. At 3" its wooly and thick. At 12" its thin. At 4-8" its just perfect. No this is not a m49 by any means. But it does work well with a singer that would sound good on a m49! plus it does not cost $10-20k

I have also gotten some killer tracks on stand up bass with this microphone. I also read somewhere it also sounds great with kick and cello. I did not like the tone for acoustic guitars, my km184 is much better suited for that. As a room mic placement is key. Above the kit its o.k. but near the floor pointing at the kick drum it sounds great as a room mic.

At $1000 used this mic is a great deal, but for retail its a o.k deal. I would be interested in hearing the pearlman tm-1 against it. As I noted above this mic is a good fit for my vocalist. She has a soft sultry type voice that works well with this mic.

4th January 2012

Neumann TLM 49 by allof6foot6

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Neumann Tlm 49

I've had the TLM49 for 2 years and have used it on male voice overs and vocals, female vocals, and on the resonant head of a 24" DW kick drum. I've had great success matching it with a Universal Audio Solo 610 tube preamp to record young female vocalists and even a male rock singer with uber-projection. I just tracked female vocals with the TLM49 and a Daking Mic Pre IV last week, and was impressed with its ability to capture the most subtle nuances of her mid-highs and highs.

The TLM49 is not necessarily the easiest vocal mic you'll ever use. Careful mic placement is absolutely key with the TLM49. You can expect to re-take if your vocalist moves around too much, so now I always use a pop filter with it to ensure that the vocalist stays perfectly in the sweet spot. Vocalists will need some time learning how to properly "work" this microphone - but the pay off in sound quality captured will be well worth it.

I have experimented with several locations around the kick drum, but find 7-8" away and 3-4" inside the rim captures the best aspects of the resonant head. Matched with an API 3124, the TLM49 produces tons of punch and resonant detail that compliment the snap and thud of an Audix D6 inside the kick.

While $1500 is hardly cheap for a mic in a project studio, the TLM49 offers great performance in a variety of applications. I have rented the U87 on two occasions as per the request of a local vocalist, but I can honestly say that I did not experience any mic envy as a result. In my experiences, the TLM49 is of the same caliber, holding its own with mics costing nearly twice as much.

6th January 2012

Neumann TLM 49 by SureSound

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Neumann Tlm 49

Combine this mic with an avalon 737, neve type preamps and you'll end up with a great sounding vocal for certain types of vocal sounds, I use this mic with alot of excellent singers and it really captures what I'm looking for, its certainly one of my go-to mics, I've used alot of neumans and this is actually one of my favorites for certain situations. I would say the sound I get out of it has to do with several factors including the space which is specially tuned, the cables which are hand wired using high quality components, the pre-amps which have unique characters for different uses, using your ears and trusting your decisions, Don't expect this mic do do the work for you but, it is a great mic and a vital player in my mic locker.

15th January 2013

Neumann TLM 49 by Scenariofever

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Neumann Tlm 49

i have used this one for over 2 years now on nearly every typ of voaclist you can find and i have to say it works in every case.

It does the best jobs on speakers and singers when they aspirate...
But i also used it on tons of Hard- and Punkrocksingers and even on
e-quitar, strings and wood.

Somestimes i needed a de-esser.

To cut a long story short, it has a fat, warm and expensive sound!

I used it with an UA 6176 and a Millenia STT-1.

5th November 2013

Neumann TLM 49 by musicandstuff

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
Neumann Tlm 49

A quick blurb about it.

A fixed pattern (cardioid) LDC. An even frequency response (no hyped high end) which makes it a versatile and quality mic that would suit many applications

Why did I buy?

I was in the market for an LDC to add to my collection (Neumann U87 and Microtech Geffell UM92.1s). I often need more LDC's on bigger recording sessions for floor toms / acoustics / room mics. And wanted a mic for singers that presented too brightly on the 87 / UM92.1s. Also something cheaper (in comparison) that would not lag behind in quality by much. I didn't want something too bright - I felt like the UM92.1s covered that shiny area. I did some research and after a trial alongside a couple of the other Neumann TLM series mics, I settled on the TLM 49.

Ease of use?

Easy to attach the mic holder too the stand..... Easy to attach the mic to the mic holder. Needs phantom power. I am going to go with..... Easy to use

What does it sound like?

First and foremost it sounds really good. Clean, neutral, even.

It sounds a lot less bright and airy than the UM92.1s but it does sound even in the highs (maybe the tiniest bit blurred compared to a couple of $$$ mics I have used, but not blurry). Against the nice bling silky top end mics I am familiar with using (UM92.1s, AKG C12, Sony C37A) it is a little veiled. And even with a little EQ push up on a quality analog EQ it never gets that sweet silky air boost (8k ish and up) those mics seem to do with ease. But it does not sound dull. Just a little tucked in compared to those mentioned. And this can be a good thing on many sources.

Midrange is good, not as forward as an 87, but not far off. A little EQ here can sometimes make something stick out if it needs it. The mids present well on voice and acoustic.

Bass response is good - a little boost of bass with proximity effect if a singer gets up close. Bass is nice and clear, no holes in it, no mud.

It doesn't seem to have a lot of 'character' when I think of it compared to a silky C12, a darker but mojo heavy and lovely U67, a hi-fi UM92.1s but for this reason it easy to pop on most sources and get a nice, even, representative sound.

Good for what?

Vocals - yes. Have not put it in front of a singer and disliked it. It has won a couple of shootouts against U67, UM92.1s, Sony C37A, U87 on particular voices. Especially on people that have a nice voice acoustically that don't need a bunch added in the top end, or those with a bit of an ugly voice in the top range that you don't want to accentuate. If you want a super shiny pop voice I would reach for something else. Also if they have any kind of lisp or too much high freq in their voice the TLM 49 does a good job of tucking it in (sometimes those nice silky mics just end up with too much of those esssssssss's).

Drums - yes. Have had good luck front of kit getting a nice chunky kit. Works well as a room mic (would be great with different polar patterns....). Sounds great on Toms. I use it here all the time.

Double bass - gotten great tones here. I don't love it as much as U67s for this but it would work sweet

Acoustic guitar - nice - doesn't bunch up in the top end which is good. Sounds even and natural. When I shoot out against others on acoustics it sometimes comes up first. Always works well

Electric guitar - gets a nice crisp top end that can cut in a nice way. Good mic - certainly use it fairly often alongside a ribbon or dynamic

Percussion / strings / vibrophone etc etc - sweet. I use it all the time and am never worried it will not be good and most sources.

Limitations? Issues?

Only one polar pattern means I wouldn't want it to be the only LDC in my kit

The mic holder - the elastic bands fall out of place all the time - you have to be careful setting it up as it is a pain to fix once it comes apart

Build quality and price?

The mic itself is well built. Quality looks good. No issues

The mic holder elastic falling apart sometimes too easily while setting up and handling means this could be improved a little

The box it comes in is not a nice wooden box that most of my good mics come in

Price seems really fair. It is certainly a great mic. I thought it the best when I shot it out at time of purchase against the other TLM series Neumanns.

Would I buy again?

Yes, I would miss not having it. I use it a lot, it is not too expensive, and it sounds good, neutral and honest. Like a U87, it works in front of almost everything. It is not a super character mic but it is still a super useful one. Recommended

30th March 2015

Neumann TLM 49 by Royaldeadman

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Neumann Tlm 49

upgraded my AKG C214 Microphone for a Neumann Tlm 49 and I instantly hear a much wider audio signal than the AKG had. It sounds much fuller and professional sounding. I would advise everyone to own a Neumann Mic.

4th May 2015

Neumann TLM 49 by tameracer

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Neumann Tlm 49

it just sounds very good with my vocal and acoustic guitar clean doesn't change the colour not to bright which is good for me
I pair it to record my guitar with akg 414 , I position neumann bit closer to neck and akg above my soulder when I blend them wowww
neumann make the magic though

it is probably 2-3 time heavier than my akg , built quality is excellent
I really liked it but only got one polar pattern which is its one downside
beside off that
it is an excellent mic

29th January 2016

Neumann TLM 49 by kyzer

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Neumann Tlm 49

My first personal foray into the realm of high end, the Neumann TLM49 will definitely put some hair on your chest as an engineer. Don't bother getting one of these unless your room is ready for it, because it will let you know. Quite un-apologetically. Get rid of your mudguard/reflection filter, because it will pick up the muddied frequencies getting caught behind it.

I can say without a doubt that the Neumann TLM49 delivered the way I'd hoped when I made the high end investment. As soon as I heard that sound, I had an elated feeling which quickly turned to excitement as I realized that I had this tool at my disposal for unlimited use.

Frequency response is key. Where other vocal centric mics usually have a similar high shelf/boost starting around the 5k region, the TLM 49 has that and a notch around 8k. This allows the mic to "take EQ well", and naturally layer without need for much EQ'ing at all. Also take note of the gentle downward slope on the low end, you can add body and presence to this mic using EQ with great results.

Pros:
Solid Construction
When it works well with the source it is amazing
Big Vox, sit on top of mix instead of getting lost within it
High Fidelity
Shines on vocals and voice-overs especially.
AMAZING proximity effect, great breathy vox
Very clean, almost sterile how clean it is!
Lots of body, does not sound thin at all.
Creamy, soft top end, not overly bright

Cons:
No HPF
No features
Doesn't take loud / overly bright sources well (proper mic/recording technique can overcome this)
Expensive
Heavy

12th April 2016

Neumann TLM 49 by Paul Ryan

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Neumann Tlm 49

Have had the TLM49 for three years. I use it primarily for my vocals, and for that it shines. Better in most cases than my Peluso capsuled 47 clone tube mic, and better than a CAD e300-the old huge beer can one USA made modeled on the Manley Ref C. When I double or triple mic a vocal track, my producer usually picks the TLM49 as lead track. When I record my vocal with two mics, the 49 is almost always the best recording. I often couple this microphone with my Summit MPC-100A preamp and together I can get this rich, warm tone, ideal for the acoustic country genre I record. For slow ballad material, I can't imagine having a sound any better. Some recommend the TLM49 for upright bass and its ok for that, but truth is I prefer other mics for that task. But for vocals, lights out good, and by far the best microphone I have. One trick with this microphone is finding the sweet spot. For me its about 5 inches away, almost kissing the pop screen for regular singing, then moving back a couple of inches when you are really belting it out... and from both positions directly into the capsule area.

I don't know what the highest-end tube mics sounds like, and from time to time I think of auditioning one, toward the purpose of buying. But truth is this has become a lower and lower priority for me due to the vocals the TLM 49 has given me-up and down the spectrum. The mids are very smooth, the lows have a nice deep timbre, and the highs sound very natural to me. I've used it for both uptempo bluegrass and slower songs, and it always shines, making my vocals sound better than they probably really are. So while I might one day upgrade to a top end U47 or U67 clone, I will always keep my 49 around. To anyone thinking of this mic, I would recommend it highly for vocals.