The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser MKH-40
4.6 4.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

The Sennheiser MKH-40 might be considered a "sleeper" mic; it features very low noise, an extremely flat frequency response, and classy sound that somehow sounds "well recorded". It is a first choice mic for acoustic guitars and drum overheads in my experience. The price tag is a bit high, but these mics deliver the goods.

7th December 2011

Sennheiser MKH 40-P48 by joedoc

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Sennheiser MKH-40

The Sennheiser MKH-40 is a world-class small diaphragm condenser mic that continues to surprise me every time I try it out on a new instrument. I have used it for choir recordings in less-than-perfect rooms (the wide-ish cardioid pattern "dried up" the room compared to a pair of omnis), unusual drums and percussion (also excellent as a pair for drum overheads), violins, acoustic guitars, upright bass, and even wound up with a "keeper" vocal when a singer was inspired and ready to go, and the MKH-40 was ready to go in the studio. It wouldn't be my first choice for vocals, but did a fine job when put on the spot.

This microphone's one serious downside is it's sensitivity to wind/breaths, especially from the side. A nose-exhale from an acoustic guitar player can cause rumbles that ruin the take. Double up on pop filters to block booger blasts.

The MKH40 may not be cheap, but if you want a no-compromise SDC mic then put this one on the short list.

4th October 2022

Sennheiser MKH 40-P48 by MoGreen

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Sennheiser MKH-40

Great allround multipurpose mic.
I've fallen totally in love with my two Sennheiser MKH 40 P48's.
They just sound good on everything I throw at them and they enable me to record my percussion instruments almost surgically realistic at a close range or more ambient sounding at a distance, even creating a somewhat retrolike sounding recording when needed.
They work great an anything and everything, acoustic solo instruments (guitars, strings, horns, percussion, piano) and larger groups like choirs, strings etc. They can even take a pounding from a guitar cab.
Before I got the pair of MKH 40's I was using a pair of vintage B&K 4006's for many of the same tasks. I know they are not entirely comparable but I was quite surprised to find that I like the sound of the Sennheiser's a lot better.
Unfortunately the MKH 40 P48 is out of production so the only way to acquire them now is through second hand traders.
I can only say: "Go and get a pair while you can!"

28th October 2022

Sennheiser MKH 40-P48 by micforyou

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Sennheiser MKH-40

Microphones Sennheiser MKH-40 is the best vocal microphone under $1000 and if you want to read more about vocale mic check this article. best vocal mics under$1000