Quantcast
Akg 535 eb - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akg 535 eb
4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 6 Reviews

Affordable cardiod condenser microphone with great filter options. Hugely versatile for live and studio sound.

2nd December 2011

AKG C535 EB by M4-10

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akg 535 eb

This is perhaps my favourite microphone. It's a cardiod condenser with a flat frequency response, and is a good all purpose studio microphone.

What sets it apart are the great filter options. It has an 100 Hz high pass filter, but it also has a very gentle 4 dB/octave high pass filter starting at 500 Hz. This makes it an amazing vocal microphone for live male vocals, because the gentle cut is essentially the inverse of the proximity effect. I get tired of EQing out the same mud on the SM 58, and with the filter on more often than not I can leave the channel EQ flat.

The first position is flat with no pad, the second position is 100 Hz 12 dB/oct HPF with no pad, the third position is flat with a -14 dB pad, and the fourth position is the gentle HPF with a -14 dB pad. With the pad engaged the level sensitivity is similar to dynamic vocal microphones, so the gain settings will be similar without a chance of overloading the input.

This is the live microphone of choice for K.D. Lang, and while it costs more than a 58, at $300 it's a great deal for those who care about vocal clarity.

Besides live vocals, I also use it in the 2nd position when I play upright bass (live. In the studio I usually favour the RE-20), in front of an f-hole. I use it because I hate pickups passionately, and live bass playing requires a sensitive microphone.

Other applications it shines for include studio instrument mics, drum overheads, and studio vocals. If you want an all purpose microphone, and your definition of all purpose includes live sound, this is the one microphone to get.

AKG 535 EB

You can see and hear it in use here with my band on top of a mountain. It's the "band" mic, augmented by an SM57 for the lead vocal. Case Closed - The Jesus Song

8th December 2011

AKG C535 EB by EV676

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Akg 535 eb

I've mixed sound for a local TV "morning show" since the mid 90's. Being a microphone junkie I've always enjoyed the freedom I have to mix and match microphones on the show. Sure, I get the occasional singer who 'freaks' if a '58' isn't on the stand in front of him and I appreciate that. But if I can I try something different.

The AKG 535EB is well known as a vocal mic and competes with the Beta 87 series in the mid-price point for vocal handheld condensers. It looks good on camera, is rugged and sounds great on a variety of voices. Where it shines is in what it doesn't do...it doesn't have a honky nasal midrange that a lot of phantom powered vocal mics seem to have. The 535 is natural and works great with the singer/songwriter types who are playing acoustic guitar or keyboards. It gives some beef to a lighter voice yet doesn't over do it on a 'basso profundo' type of singer. What proximity effect there us isn't exaggerated, though a foam pro screen isn't a bad idea with this mic.

I purchased my first 535 used from the 'bay' and I've added 3 additional to my arsenal. I'm very pleased with this mic and recommend it as a quality alternative to the usual choices of vocal mics for live performance. Thanks!

4th January 2012

AKG C535 EB by allof6foot6

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4
Akg 535 eb

I was bragging about the performance of my pair of 535's as drum overheads to a well established recording engineer. He seemed to think that the 535 capsule is the same as that in the 451. I've never confirmed that, but all I know is that the 535's are an amazing utility microphone on stage and in the studio.

I've been very pleased with its performance with male and female vocalists. Encourage your vocalists to try it - those used to the SM57/58 will be blown away! The roll off is a great tool when being used outdoors, and it protects itself well from wind noise. AKG 535's are amazing on acoustic guitar - they create a perfect balance of body warmth and string brightness. While they are not totally transparent, the color that 535's do provide is far more pleasing than what you've come to expect from the SM57/58 (ie. nasal honk).

My happiest moment with the 535 was how well a trumpet recording turned out using my Universal Audio Solo 610 tube preamp. It was everything a trumpet should be: brassy, silky, and defined, without any of the harsh coloration so common in the SM57 and SM58. The 535 even out-performed my Neumann TLM49 in this application, a mic costing 5x's that of the AKG 535!

The AKG 535 deserves a sleeper mic award - its the best kept secret in the AKG stable of mics. Highly recommended.

5th February 2012

AKG C535 EB by Ward Pike

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Akg 535 eb

My personal favorite live vocal microphone. It excels at adding clarity and presence to dull or nasally voices and works well on clear voices also, giving them a presence that you cannot get from a 58, beta 58 or similar dynamic microphones. It really does give you a studio sound on stage.

Also recommended for hi-hat mic'ing in the studio. A pair can work for overheads also, beating out AKG's C1000 in this application.

They are cardioid only but do have switchable pads and high pass filters. I would describe the sound as being very 414uls.