14th October 2022

LOOPTROTTER Audio Engineering SA2RATE 2 by Leveuho

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
LOOPTROTTER Audio Engineering Sa2rate 2

I've been looking at this unit for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger. I did some basic studio tests with it and these tell me clearly that Sa2rate 2, just like the first version of the unit, does an amazing job.

The way it saturates the signal is very smooth, musical, it adds a lots of presence and body to anything you throw into it. It works great with mono sources, but it shows its real potential working in stereo on denser material, like drum bus or synths.

The controls of Sa2rate 2 is a nice step up from version one. You can drive the input signal, you can blend the dry and wet, you can also engage preemphasis - saturation - deemphasis cirtuit for both low and high end. It lets you keep your bass saturated yet clean (it makes a shelf-like dip, then saturates, and then boosts it back), it lets you and extra shine to your tops (it boosts the highs, saturates them and then cuts them same amount, same shelf style).

I've been using plugin saturation before getting Sa2rate 2. HG-2 MS by Plugin Alliance or Goliath by Tone Boosters are really great piece of software, but going analog really makes an obvious difference in saturation area. Not only that, I believe that Looptrotter unit can compete successfully against hardware units like Elysia Karacter, Drawmer 1976 or FATSO.

Get it, as it's rather inexpensive for what it offers!