The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Geekom IT8
5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The mini PC that can....

1 week ago

Geekom IT8 by Graham~

Geekom IT8

What we have here is a very NUC-like mini PC from Geekom. The Geekom IT8 comes ready to go out of the box, complete with M.2 Kingston SSD, Kingston RAM, CPU and, impressively, Windows 11 Pro pre-installed…so not a bad start at all for the asking price.

It comes in a few different configurations from 8GB RAM/256GB SSD to 16GB RAM/512GB SSD with an older Intel Coffee Lake i5 8259U (6M Cache, up to 3.8 GHz) being the one constant across them all. This makes it one of the older 8th generation chips. It comes with four cores (eight threads in total) and a 3.8GHz turbo frequency. Ignoring the fact that it's an older processor it does have the makings for a very good CPU. As for connectivity it has an Intel Wireless AC-7265 card which supports Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi 5.

Port wise things look pretty good with 3 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 2, 2 x USB-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x mini DisplayPort, SD slot, gigabit Ethernet, and lastly a 3.5mm headphone jack. Inside you’ll find space for an extra 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD if you wish to expand your storage. As you'd expect with a machine of this size it's VESA mountable and comes with a VESA mount in the box.

When you start up the Geekom IT8 for the first time you are just required to go through the initialisation procedure for the pre-installed Windows 11 Pro. Yep, a nice clean install of Win 11 Pro, no unwanted bloatware.

Obviously it's brilliant at your basic email checking/running office apps/browsing web or watching youtube but can it run a DAW? Yes actually and for what's on offer it actually does a fine job. I tested it out with Cubase and most tasks ran pretty smoothly. The more power hungry VI’s out there may give a system like this a little bit of a hard time but this machine will handle a lot of what most novices and newcomers require of it. I imagine a lot of those expensive power hungry plugins aren't going to be available at first to most newcomers (seeing as the computer is only one part of the puzzle i think it’s reasonable to say their money is better spent elsewhere rather on more plugins). To be fair it ran better than I was expecting it to and it makes me wonder how well it would perform in other studio responsibilities…did someone say a small plugin server?

So who else could it be for? Anyone looking for a compact, small footprint system ready to go out of the box with decent power and ports onboard all for a great price! I'm sure this would make for a nice little retro gaming machine/Emulator or even a tidy NAS server!

Of course the key to a machine like this is managing one's expectations but i have to repeat myself in saying…for the asking price you get quite a nice little package here, and bang for buck, you should not be disappointed.

If your intested you can check it out here! Geekom run promotions now and again so its worth keeping an eye on them.

Attached Thumbnails
Geekom IT8-it8-ports.jpg   Geekom IT8-cpu.jpg  
Attached Images
Geekom IT8-it8.jpg