Quantcast
OLLO Audio S4X - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OLLO Audio S4X
4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

So this is what "flat" open-back headphones really sound like...

8th December 2021

OLLO Audio S4X by Faceless98

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
OLLO Audio S4X

I've owned the Ollo S4X about 4 months now.

These cans are truly weird in how they are voiced. Because these are truly not meant for enjoying music or quickly referenced for understanding headphone translation. No, what these truly are the most "flatly" tuned headphones you can get at their price point. Whatever you are hearing is a completely honest translation of how the engineer gain staged the track.

Usually in most headphones and speaker systems, we understand modern pop vocals are slightly upfront, ride along nicely or sit in the instrumental very well. On these headphones? They are LOUD because that's how the gain staging is done.

Am I saying these headphones are "bad" then? Hell no. Because once you learn these headphones, they become superbly invaluable in terms of how well your mixes translate. You just need to spend a lot of time getting used to how they are tuned and how your favorite tracks sound. Once you learn it, you will never be let down on how your track sounds literally anywhere else.

The quality of construction is excellent. I love their wood-based build and no plastic philosophy to design. Lot of people seem to have beef with the headband but, I am okay with it. It feels truly premium.

The cups are excellent too. They feel really nice and don't fatigue at all wearing for long periods.

I do have a gripe with the headphone cables. These seem to have no magnetic protection? I don't know what the technical term is but they seem to pick up some sort of grounding or noise when in contact with certain electronics. This doesn't happen all the time or it's a massive deal breaker, but.. I wish this wasn't a problem at all at this price point.

TLDR- made for engineers. Not fun to use for casual listening but indispensable for mixing and mastering. Super reliable once you get used to its sound and mixes translate perfectly.