27th November 2021

Alctron MP100V2 by Ladycharles

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Alctron MP100V2

I ordered this after using Alctron's 1073 clone as my main pre for awhile - great unit but I wanted a full voltage tube option as well as an option that was less coloured. Like the MP73, this is really good bang for your buck. In this case, the preamp is a clone of a UA-710 Twin Finity with some minor differences in the circuit, an all-metal shell and frontplate, and a handle on top which is surprisingly useful.
The solid state side is clean and clear without sounding clinical - a great option to have that really shines paired with my Mkl2500 on vocals. The tube side is quite similar sounding at lower gain but with a slight high end sparkle, but the difference becomes more apparent at higher gains as the tube saturates. At the right gain, it will sound sparkly and crisp with a nice rounded character without sacrificing clarity, a welcome change from the muddy "warmth" of the starved plate designs that are more common at this price point. Dial it higher and it gets into full on distortion, not ideal on vocals but a fun re-amping possibility.
It is worth noting that while this is a proper tube pre, many older tube pres get a lot of their characteristic warm sound from their transformers. This preamp is more balanced in character and can even tend towards airy on some sources though never thin. I have experimented with running the ouput through a standalone transformer at 100% tube and liked the results for a more retro vibe.
Overall, I would say I prefer this to the MP73 - it is amazing to be able to have such a versatile preamp with such a fantastic sound. I would highly recommend this to studios on a budget who do not want to compromise sound quality - having it and the MP73 means I can go for a transformer sound, a very clean solid state, or a proper voltage tube sound which is amazing flexibility for under a grand.
The build quality seems good too and the components seem decent - I cannot compare directly to a 710 but I would not be surprised if it was just as good.