22nd October 2021

Techivation T-De-Esser by horriblemind

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Techivation T-De-Esser

It's a nice little plugin, it has all you need from a de-esser and offers some extra features on top of that (in Pro version).

You can manually select the desired frequency range, then set intensity, sharpness, attack and release controls to taste and even saturate the entire signal a little so it sounds smoother. I'm not sure there's any other de-esser out there with a saturation option. Personally, I wouldn't use saturation inside a de-esser, as there are dedicated saturation or channel strip plugins out there, but nevertheless it adds to this plugin functionality.
There's a lookahead option as well, for a more precise control. Oversampling is a great advantage when you want to avoid aliasing artifacts from heavy processing.

GUI-wise, I think the processing knob (which controls the threshold) is a bit too large in comparison with other switches, making them very small in comparison. Perhaps those precise controls at the bottom of the plugin do not have to be seen all the time and could be in a drop-down menu or something, but overall, it’s a decent looking GUI.

I think this plugin could be just a bit cheaper though, as it is not a full-fledged channel strip yet.

25th October 2021

Techivation T-De-Esser by denork

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Techivation T-De-Esser

The Pro version of T-De-Esser is the most complete DeEsser I have ever tried.

I'm a regular Fabfilter Pro-DS user, but T-De-Esser Pro brings a game changer in this sector! Having a control of the attack and the release is something incredible, it is not usual to find these controls in a DeEsser and now that I have tried it, I think it is quite a necessary control.

If you look at the features it offers, you will see that it is completely complete and nothing is missing! In addition to the attack and saturation control, other controls that I have loved are the saturation and the hifilter, usually in the chain of a vowel, the DeEsser is usually the first or second plugin to use, and this DeEsser will save you some other plugins like an EQ to apply a hifilter and a bit of clipping.

Definitely my new DeEsser!