Quantcast
HeadRush MX5 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HeadRush MX5
4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

This unit is hands down best bang for buck.

20th October 2021

HeadRush MX5 by zacbarnes26

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
HeadRush MX5

This unit is hands down best bang for buck.I have Fractal AXE FX3 and Helix stomp and Headrush so I have experience with all of them. While Fractal is my favorite, Headrush is my second favorite, specifically because they DON'T compromise processing power. All the power of flagship, but for less. So I can run stereo dual amps, multiple reverbs delays etc just like on the big version. The only difference is inputs and hardware size and pedal counts. That is a game changer. With the FM3 and Helix stomp you lose half (fractal is only 25%) of the flagship DSP power. So not all of your patches will work on the "little brother" units. With this MX5, I'm able to run full on gigs no issues. Tone is great.

Now, here is the weakness. The cabs. Can I get a decent tone, yes, but it doesn't compete with Fractal unless you use 3rd party IR. Now, IRs don't have to be a complicated rabbit hole. I use only a handful of IRs and they are all from York Audio. I just find a mix I like and BAM. For the money and sound quality this unit can't be beat. IRs are relatively inexpensive ($14 for the pack I bought) so grab a few trusty cabs and this unit sings. I will be posting a sound video demo shortly.