Quantcast
Blokas midihub - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blokas midihub
3 3 out of 5, based on 1 Review

4 in/4 out midi interface with extensive midi processing abilities.

3 days ago

by stratblue

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 3 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.25

Potentially fantastic bit of gear let down by an utterly horrendous editor. This box is built like a tank and if you understand it then it is an incredibly powerful mangler of midi that can turn anything into anything, I'm currently using it to turn my TR8s into an interface to program the arpeggiator on a Novation Supernova!I really wanted to use this gadget a lot but the editor that is used to program it just lets the whole thing down. Imagine if you let the guys who designed the computer chips at Apple design the human user interface too, it would be a disaster. The guys who designed this are obviously total boffins, on a different level to the rest of us and I'm sure to them and people like them, it's pretty simple but it's just full of really strange design choices. I happened to click by mistake into some white space and suddenly it became a box into which I could enter numbers, I tried clicking on text and sometimes it transforms into buttons that do very useful things, there's no way to differentiate, you just have to experiment. The only way to know for sure what you're doing is by closely monitoring the output and experimenting until it does what you want.
I've pretty much given up using it except as an interface these days, I was forced to use the editor again today and I've just spent 2 hours trying to get it to do what I want and I'm almost there but I'm starting to get a pain behind my eyes. If spending a few hours installing and configuring Linux seems like fun to you, you'll love this box (it works under Linux, naturally!), but if your an artistic type who wants to make beautiful sounds...