13th July 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by Unheard Vision

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-251

This microphone is truly something special. I have a deep voice and have never found a microphone where my voice cuts through the mix with clarity and warmth. The SA-251 gives my voice warmth, clarity, and this almost magical top-end sheen that sits beautifully in the mix! It sounds amazing without any EQ. It sounds even better with EQ...and it takes EQ extremely well. I use the SA-251 going into my Stam Audio 1073EQ and it sounds unbelievable when adding some of that 12kHz high shelf. Even with that near maxed out...it never sounds harsh. To round out the vocal chain...it's then going into my StamChild. I couldn't be happier with the results.

My mic has the Tim Campbell capsule and the upgraded NOS GE 6072A tube. I'm extremely happy with this purchase and I'm very seriously considering buying another of this exact same microphone so I can do stereo recordings of acoustic guitar and other instruments.

While I have never used the original Telefunken ELA M 251 for comparison purposes, this SA-251 is clearly doing something special. I have multiple pieces of gear from Stam Audio, and one thing is for sure...the sound quality is always incredible...and the gear is built rock-solid. If you're thinking about buying this mic, don't hesitate. Get it without question. You will be very happy that you did!

7th August 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by deedrutley

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

Just had this one for a month now but I can already say im really happy i bought this mic. It saves me so much time in the mix. Deep warms (tube), amazing highs and cuts through the mix easily on any vocal (havent tried other sources yet). With some specific sharp female vocalists it can be a little piercing, and then i tame the 2k a bit. Overall super detailed mic and takes away so much work on getting the vocal right. If youre looking for super bright and upfront vocal sound its def one of the best ive heard so far. Without compromising the low-mids (!)
Have to mention I cant compare to the original 251 as I dont have that one. I used the SA251 with a Focusrite 220 session pack channel strip and on cardioid characteristic.

Great work by Stam Audio

30th August 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by officialXYZ

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

We’ve had our matched pair of SA-251’s from Stam for a month or more now. Extremely pleased with these mics. They have been used on a number of projects for vocals and drum overheads so far. Accurate/detailed just as they should be. Very solid, handmade build we’ve come to expect and enjoy from Stam. Thank you SA team!

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-251-image_6506_0.jpg  
31st August 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by shakermaker3

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

At this point I'm not surprised (maybe a bit spoiled for the price vs quality ratio) to be blown away by a Stam Audio microphone. I have a collection of stam mics but my new pair of SA-251s may sit a the top.

I don't have an original to compare it too but from everything I've heard/read these have the same characteristics and sound amazing. Just great replicas of an incredible microphone at an insanely good price.

I have tried them on multiple sources and have been smiling ear to ear. I Can't wait to put them through more paces as I move into a new space but the early tests proved Stam/Josh has done it once again. I plan on having many years of tracking with these 251s and am excited to learn more of their strengths... Early tests on vocals, acoustic guitar and drum over heads already prove they were well well worth the wait.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-251-screen-shot-2021-08-31-11.06.53-am.png  
1st September 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by mixo

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

The pair of Stam 251's I recently received are outstanding! I've been using my pair of Stam 47's for 3 years as well as my Stam 800 and can't say enough good things about them and the 251's have just joined the club. Stam's mics sound great and are the closest thing to the originals as you can get in my opinion. The price is great too!

I have over 50 mics in my studio and always wanted a pair of 251's so I ordered a pair from Stam. Sadly I waited slightly over 2 years for them to arrive. About 6 months ago I bought a pair of Telefunken TF51's , a "251 inspired mic". I liked them but they were not killing me so I ordered a pair of Golden Age 251's which I liked better and returned the Telefunkens ( thank you Sweetwater). I've been using the Golden Age mics for 4 months and have been extremely happy with them. Once I had the Stam 251's I set up a quick test with the Golden age and Stam's on a grand piano and a acoustic guitar. I played the examples back for some clients and myself we all quickly selected the Stam's as the winner. The Stam's sounded a bit smoother from top to bottom and bigger. The Golden Age mics sounded great BUT the Stam's clearly sounded better.

At the price Stam is selling these for I urge you to get one or 2!

One bummer....when I got them both power supplies had a transformer shaking around as there was only 2 crews holding the plate it was attached to down. One was fixed but the other is still in the shop.

While I strongly recommend Stam products no matter what you are told you will wait a long time...figure 18-24 months. However it is worth the wait. I also own a pair of Stam LA-3's and a Stamchild. I own a pair of Urei La 3's and a Neumann U 48 and I'm comparing the Stam products against the real thing and Stam always holds it's own.

Don Sternecker
Mix-O-Lydian Recording Studio
Delaware water gap,Pa

9th September 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by bkinke

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

Definitely worth the wait.

Impressed and happy with the purchase of this Stam Audio SA-251, Telefunken ELA-M251 replica. It came with the original GE-6072A 5 star tube, AMI transformer, and the Tim Campbell’s CK12 capsule. It has all the clarity and smoothness in the high frequencies that would be expected in a ELA-M251. The mid’s cut through and are not overwhelmed by the low freq’s, giving it a great characteristic for a female vocalist. Did not have a 251 to compare it to, but is an amazing replica and can recommended this mic without hesitation.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-251-fullsizeoutput_84b0.jpg  
19th September 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by TM_57

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

what a wonderful microphone! It's the best mic for my voice I ever had. It has a warm an transparent sound. Great for ballads. I also use it with acoustic guitar. It came in a solid case and the mic was in a nice wood case . I have some mics but never had one that was so easy to use. It seems no additional eq is necessary. It sounds perfect for me.

28th September 2021

Stam Audio SA-251 by Corsi

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-251

If I could give this mic a higher rating than 5 in “bang for the buck” I would! The build quality is exceptional. The shock mount clips are a pain to use as they are hard to get to due to interference from the elastic bands. Sound? I LOVE it! Silky smooth with dark tones on vocals. Such a lovely top end without any sibilance issues. Tried it on upright classical bass and it captured all of the warmth and subtle detail of the bow I expected. Great on acoustic instruments in general. I think it will work well on a wide range of applications. It’s a very different animal than a U47 without the same pronounced midrange but I like that on female vocals and lower frequency male vocals. I’ve never used an original 251 but from listening to recordings of the vintage version I’d say this stacks up beautifully with the original with the added benefit of modern reliability. This is a steal at the price. I waited a long time due to COVID issues with parts and labor shortages but life is long and it was well worth the wait!! Nicely done again Josh! PS, I ran this through a Chandler TG2 Abbey Road mic pre which was a nice pairing.