2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA-251 by Unheard Vision

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-251

This microphone is truly something special. I have a deep voice and have never found a microphone where my voice cuts through the mix with clarity and warmth. The SA-251 gives my voice warmth, clarity, and this almost magical top-end sheen that sits beautifully in the mix! It sounds amazing without any EQ. It sounds even better with EQ...and it takes EQ extremely well. I use the SA-251 going into my Stam Audio 1073EQ and it sounds unbelievable when adding some of that 12kHz high shelf. Even with that near maxed out...it never sounds harsh. To round out the vocal chain...it's then going into my StamChild. I couldn't be happier with the results.

My mic has the Tim Campbell capsule and the upgraded NOS GE 6072A tube. I'm extremely happy with this purchase and I'm very seriously considering buying another of this exact same microphone so I can do stereo recordings of acoustic guitar and other instruments.

While I have never used the original Telefunken ELA M 251 for comparison purposes, this SA-251 is clearly doing something special. I have multiple pieces of gear from Stam Audio, and one thing is for sure...the sound quality is always incredible...and the gear is built rock-solid. If you're thinking about buying this mic, don't hesitate. Get it without question. You will be very happy that you did!