Quantcast
V-MODA M-200 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
V-MODA M-200
2.5 2.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

V-Moda 200 vs 100 vs studio headphones - sorry V-Moda, you're fading fast...

3 weeks ago

V-MODA M-200 by djsinistral

• Sound Quality 2 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 2.5
V-MODA M-200

I've borrowed my mates M100's (not Master) for DJ gigs for a year - they're amazing but discontinued. Bought the 200s - not good. Yes the bass is far less pronounced, so they're flatter, but absolutely terrible for DJ use. A bass boost is awesome when surrounded by sub woofers and a large FOH rig.

As for studio use - yes they're a million times more neutral than the M100s. But, compared with other studio cans they sound tinny and fatiguing to listen to. Sure the clarity is high, but they're also scratchy as hell, with some stereo width but still as boxed in sounding as any other consumer level closed backs. I compared them with my cheaper open back Beyer DT990 PROs - no comparison, the DTs beat the 200s in every respect; stereo width, soundstage, bass extension (not flat, I'd describe as "warm"), comfort is faaaar better also. Obviously impractical to use such bulky and open phones like the DTs for a DJ gig, but in the studio, open is the only way to go.

So, in short, I'm not sure why the 200s exist apart from the cool looks. They're crap for DJ use and mediocre for studio use. Stick with what you're good at V-Moda; extremely hyped cans that don't break.

(Out of the box, my 200s didn't work properly either. The adapter was broken - yeh the little gold thing. How the hell do you screw that up? )