14th June 2021

Daria Microphones 900x by bradnyght

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Daria Microphones 900x

So had a chance to demo this mic (I happen to have the older named version "251x" but it's the same mic as the 900x) and I was really blown away.

I was digging around Reverb for a "cheap" mic that might be fun to try out and when I saw the Daria 900x I thought I'd give it a shot. Emailed Ryan, he responded almost immediately and I had a mic in my hand in less than 3 days I think. Always a bonus when the owner of the company responds so quickly and with constant communication!

I recorded a short song with percussion (shakers and tambourines), drums (separately mic'd floor tom as a kick drum, snare and crash ride together), acoustic guitar (3/4 Taylor with medium strings), and about 16 layered vocals. Everything was tracked through an Emery Sound tube preamp into an AudioScape V-Comp (NOS GE 6386 tube and upgraded 6V6 tubes) or flat without compression depending on vibe...

Really stunned at how wide a range of tone and dynamics this mic has for being $299!
The floor tom as a kick drum impressed me the most, I was floored at how deep and powerful it felt.
Zero distortion on something putting out huge 20hz waves and it fit perfectly into the track. It was so good in fact, I reconsidered ever micing an actual kick drum again, haha!
On acoustics it was impossible to find a bad placement with the Taylor and I had a lot of fun throwing down ideas when the tone coming off the mic sounded so balanced and rich. Dynamics were a breeze for the 900x and I never really felt like I wasn't hearing exactly what I was playing...

Vocals were also awesome! For me you can tell what kind of mic you're dealing with once you get past 4 stacks of vocals and I cut 8/16 per part to really see what this thing had going for it.
Smooth, really clear, no "trash" hype on the high-end... Just great, clean, very stackable and easily mixed vocals.

I haven't had a chance to try it on grand piano (I do a lot of scoring work) but I'm guessing a stereo pair spaced or ORTF would be amazing on my Seiler baby grand or as overheads on drums...

If you email Ryan at Daria he can send you the session files I recorded so you can hear for yourself.

25th June 2021

Daria Microphones 900x by cardinalcrunk

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Daria Microphones 900x

So I need to give some back story before my review. Ever since I got my Warbler, I didn't think I'd come across a better microphone in that price range. I'd tried mics that cost thousands of dollars (like the blue Mojave) that didn't sound nearly as good as my Warbler.

Flash forward a few years:
I wanted to try something different. I learned about Daria and saw the awesome reviews on their website. I wasn't sure what to expect, to be honest.

I plugged in the mic and did some basic vocal tests. They were good. Surprisingly good.

I ran a few more takes in place of tracks I made in other projects. It was... way better than I was expecting. Maybe this was a fluke? Nope. I couldn't believe how exceptional each recording was compared to what I got from other mics I've tried in the past.

As a final test, I tracked vocals over a two track beat. The results were magical. It was like the incredible Hulk grabbed my vocals from the back of the instrumental and pulled it right to the front of the speakers.

I tried multiple different recording styles: singing, rapping, screaming. It handled everything beautifully

One thing I couldn't understand was how I could put my mouth right up to the mic when recording and it didn't clip! I don't know how they managed to do this, but it handles close up recordings very well.

This has to be the best mic I've ever used. Im surprised it's not in more discussions of "best bang for your buck" mics