2 weeks ago

Stam Audio 312-5 Plus by SGINK

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Stam Audio 312-5 Plus

If you are here than you probably heard of Stam audio. A company who has definitely left its mark as an alternative to the larger more recognized manufacturers in the pro audio space. As usual, this one doesn’t disappoint. I will be honest as I never used the original API 312 mic pre so my review will be based solely on my applications. I was using my soundelux u195 to the 312-5+ into my Burls back into my daw. Also played around with. The 312-5+ into the Maag Eq to my 1176 D rev just to cut out some subs and add some air and tame some transients. Firstly man does this sound fat, thick, with balanced round lows. The lower mids are smooth, upper mids are upfront yet not to abrasive... extremely smooth and musical. I paired this up while tracking vocals with my stamchild and I believe I got a match made in heaven. The sound that was achieved was bold, full, with a sound that was to my ears buttery. This definitely will stay and probably one of my go to pre’s forever. Thanks Stam for another great product. Can’t wait for the rest of my gear to come in!! Didn’t get to use the DI but the Pre rocks. And for the price?? It’s a no brainer. Still trying to figure out how they can afford to do gear at this price. Not complaining at all!! The build quality IMO is better that some of the top manufacturers. I would definitely test one of these out, you will not be disappointed.

2 days ago

Stam Audio 312-5 Plus by DavidDiMuzio

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio 312-5 Plus

I've owned at least thirty various 500 series units (pre-amps, compressors, EQs, saturators etc.) and this has to be most substantial looking of them all right out of the box. I know audio gear isn't about the look as much as the sound, but still sometimes you can look at and hold a piece of gear and have a pretty good idea as to the expense and care that went into making it. I hooked this Stam 312-5+ up with Shure 545 (Vintage Made In USA mic ...one of my favorite dynamic mics) and recorded vocals and they sounded fat and punchy. Then I tracked some electric guitars through it and again this beautiful fat mid-range. This 312-5+ makes tracks sound like my favorite records. Because of the great prices on Stam units they are sometimes thought of a "budget gear", but I think they often produce the best versions of classic gear at ANY price. I just can't let my friends borrow my SA-800 or SA-47 mics anymore because they don't want to give them back and they keep just trying to buy them off me, haha. I'm not selling!