10th April 2021

AudioScape EQP-A Tube Equalizer by jvpsounds

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
AudioScape EQP-A Tube Equalizer

I think the EQP-A might be one of the best deals in the analog outboard game! I've been using vintage Pultec EQ's for 20 years now. I know the sound well and believe they are a necessity for every recording studio. I previously owned a pair of Tube-Tech PE-1B's. They are good, but very clean. Tube-Tech makes this no secret. They purposely set out to make a clean Pultec EQ. I ended up selling them because I like the harmonic richness of a Pultec. After hearing so much great things about Audioscape, I thought I would give them a chance. I'm glad I did! This is the sound I was looking for without having to pay the inflated vintage tax.

The unit is very well build. Hand made in the US. NOS tubes. And they advertise that they strictly follow the same circuit design as the original— including using 3 tubes. Only two of the tubes are in the audio path. But there is something to be said about being faithful to the original design.

The unit operates as to be expected. It has that harmonic richness I mentioned previously. Even having the low end boost at 1 gives a fullness to the mix. And the high boost is soooooo smooth. Not harsh at all. The classic low boost + attenuation trick works just like the classic units. I haven't had a chance for a direct comparison to a vintage Pultec yet, but I plan on comparing soon!

I use the unit for tracking as well—not just for mixbus duties. On guitar, nothing brings an amp to life than cranking up 3kHz with a sharp bandwidth. Turn up 100hz to taste to fill it out. Magic! 16kHz on vocals gives you that air that sounds like a record. Kick drums are a classic use. Passive EQ's are a must!

I can't say enough good things about this EQ. I plan on getting the MEQ-A next. Thanks for cranking out great outboard, @ AudioScape