9th April 2021

Focusrite RED 3 by seawell

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Focusrite RED 3

I've been pretty happy using SSL Buss Comp style compressors on the 2 buss for years now. I've had the pleasure of using a Smart C1LA, AudioScape Buss Comp, Stam Audio SA4000 MK1 and Serpent Audio SB4001.

We live in an interesting time where a plug in can help you get a sense of what a piece of hardware you haven't had access to before sounds like. That's exactly what happened here, I tried out the Slate FG-Red and really enjoyed the different flavor it offered opposed to the SSL style comps.

Thankfully, a couple of months ago I was able to find a Red 3 with both input and output transformers. I put it on the 2 buss and instantly heard a width and a sheen that was very familiar to some of my favorite mixes. It really is a special piece of gear. It does this mid forward thing that really makes things more agressive when you want them to be. The compression can be quite transparent but when you drive the output with the make up gain you can really make things rock

I put together a video review with audio examples of the Red 3 hardware on 2 buss. I also included a shootout section with the top plug in emulations(Slate FG-Red, Waves CLA MixDown and the Focusrite Red 3 Plug In). I hope you find it helpful if you're interested in a Red 3: