7th April 2021

Viking Microphones Orpheum by gostallion

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Viking Microphones Viking/Orpheum Condenser

Since I am running my little studio on a tight budget I have been looking closely to very inexpensive microphone alternatives. I tried several so far and they have been plastic, poor quality Asian copies that sounded harsh or dark or thin or however. I ran across these Viking mics on ebay and for $99 I thought I would try one of these.
Well, was I surprised! now this is a mic. I am a degreed electronic engineer so, as usual, I took it apart right away like all of them I bought. It has a metal body and framework and the circuitry components were of high quality/tight tolerance. The capsule is a K87 gold-sputtered 1"+ diaphragm with a 34mm brass frame and looked much better than the Asian copies.
The XLR connector is solid (unlike some of those other clones) and fit tightly. It looks like a Copperhead, which is way cool, in dark grey and copper trim and it has a large METAL shock mount (unlike the clones plastic ones), and is in a very nice shiny metal suitcase-style case.
It is obvious this is made in America (listing says Florida), which is a big plus for me. I put it on a stand right next to my name brand go-to mic and started recording. The first project was a voiceover band intro and it definitely sounded better to me and the whole band. I had to process this to get the "announcer " sound (as would have to with any mic) since it will be played in concert sound systems and this mic took to the processing very well.
Next was singing, and again we were amazed at the clarity without too much sibilance and no harshness at all, very little processing was used which is the mark of a good mic. I didn't get any specs with it so I can't speak to freq response but it has extremely low self-noise.
My cheap mic search is finally over and I have a new go-to but I should clarify this is not a cheap mic, it is inexpensive at $99, no more saving up for the $500/$600 name brands. I saw they have many styles available and I will be getting more of these. I do have a couple sound clips in a forum section thread discussion.

Attached Thumbnails
Viking Microphones Viking/Orpheum Condenser-viking-mic2.jpg  

21st April 2021

Viking Microphones Orpheum by ghawk

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I just purchased a Orpheum/Viking 32mm LDC microphone from ebay. I’m a saxophonist and I’m nearing the end of a recording project that will be released in late fall of this year. I have used a Neat King Bee LDC along with an Audient id22 for most of the project and I only have two more tracks to lay down on tenor (I’m using tenor and soprano). I’m not a gearhead, but I’m definitely a freak about my tone and my recorded sound. I really would have liked to have a high-end Neumann (particularly the TLM 170) in my arsenal but that’s out of the question, right now. I’m doing this project myself but I’ve used 414’s, TLM 103’s and C12VR’s in studios and I liked them, a lot. The C12 is the mic that I usually request for session work if given a choice. (None of the studios that I've worked in have a TLM 170). I love that mic.
The King Bee is a very good mic and it’s done a nice job but I’ve seen the rave reviews about the Viking/Orpheum mics so I thought that I’d give one a try...what do I have to lose at $70, or so, right? I ordered one from ebay on Friday and it arrived from Florida to California on Monday! I A/B’d it with my King Bee and an Oktava mk 012 SDC, which is nice on tenor.
I’m about to make a statement that I can’t belive that I’m making: the Orpheum/Viking may be my favorite mic EVER on tenor. It has cured my desire to own a TLM 170, at the moment. It’s very smooth, warm without being bloaty and makes me sound good! It’s a cardiod mic and there’s no switching polar patterns, but I don’t need that. The guys at Viking/Orpheum say that their prices are going to increase soon, so I ordered a second one, yesterday.
I’m finished with the soprano part of the project but I’m going to be trying it out on soprano next week when the project is done. If it’s as good on soprano as it is on tenor, I have some mics for sale….King Bee, anyone?

6 days ago

Viking Microphones Orpheum by I like guitars

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I recently purchased Viking Microphones Orpheum 95 for $119.00 on EBay. It comes with a foam windscreen, shock mount, cable, and a aluminum case. First I will say, that’s quite a nice bundle for $119.00. I got the white and black chrome version. It’s a classy looking mic with a slightly white pearl look. I did a scratch vocal track with the microphone plugged straight in by itself and I was pleasantly surprised. Phantom power is needed of course. Then I ran the Orpheum 95 through on old ART Tube MP and it sounds amazing on my voice. I will use the word “Smooth” to describe how good it sounds. Even though I’m singing both soft passages and aggressive rock style vocals it handled both up close for soft vox and 6 inches to a foot away vox for my loud aggressive style vox. Adjusting inputs of course. I have used different Neumann’s and other high dollar microphones on my vocals that didn’t sound as good. During one session I had the opportunity to try many different big dollar microphones to find the one that matched my voice. We used the Neumann U-87 as that sounded best on my voice. But that is out of range for my home studio budget. As I mentioned. My voice didn’t match well with certain microphones. So this is something to consider and you will have to use your own experience to judge for yourself. I’m extremely impressed. I have found the microphone for my voice, and I’m amazed at the price tag of $119.00. I have just purchased another version of the Orpheum 95. The seller has excellent communication and customer service. So ask questions, and he will answer them. He will work with you to make sure you get what you want. That was my experience with Viking. The are out of Florida. I’ve read a couple other reviews where people are stating that the microphone is a clone or remanufactured. I have no idea about any of that. And, I don’t really care about that stuff I guess. It works excellent for my use and I feel quite lucky to have found such a great product for a very fair price.

Attached Thumbnails
Viking Microphones Viking/Orpheum Condenser-6b61cb0f-34da-40fe-bbd5-ef79527ae0b1.jpg