Quantcast
Gibson 335 Figured 60's Cherry guitar - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gibson 335 Figured 60's Cherry guitar
4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The new Gibson 335 guitars are amazing. They cost a lot but they are worth it. Just like PRS guitars in my opinion are worth it. Great craftmanship, very good quality control and amazing sound.

6th March 2021

Gibson ES-335 Figured - Sixties Cherry by Glenn Bucci

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

I just received a late 2020 made Gibson 335 Figured cherry red guitar. First off it looks so beautiful and it brings a smile to your face when you look and play it. I found the craftmanship to be excellent and no flaws in construction or quality of parts an issue. It looks beautiful and smells nice. The action was a little too low so I moved the screws up on the saddle a little just to get it low but not that low.

The pickups on this guitar are the calibrated pickups. They are brighter and more open than some older 335's I have played. Some older ones I found to be a little muddy.
With my treble knob on my Fender Twin to 6, the front pickup for what I was expecting was a little bright on the clean channel. I turned down the tone control down to 5 with the guitar tone down to 8 and its now perfect. Now I am getting the beautiful tone of the Gibson that I expect. On the back pickup I have the tone knob down to 7 1/2. It sounds closer to my LP on the back pickup in the treble response. It has that classic Gibson tone that you expect which is a good thing.

To be honest if you were just playing jazz, for my taste I think I would prefer the 1961 335 Reissue pickups which are not as bright but its so much more money. With that being said, I like the neck better on my 2020 335 which is not as big as the reissue. Right now I am just using my Fender Twin and have not used my Boogie or other amps yet. So granted with each amp you will get different results. I just went through my Boss Angry Driver and the extra top end on this guitar is just great by the way. So with distortion. the higher treble works in your favor. I love this guitar. The only thing that would have improved this guitar is if they added a single coil option if you pulled on the volume knob.

I compared it to my 1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom. The LP has a thicker tone with the front pickup and has a tighter sound. On the back pickup, the LP rocks more, while the 335 which also rocks but it has a little less punch. LP is clearly a better guitar for heavier rocking than the 335. The 335 has a pleasant open sound in comparison. There is clearly enough of a difference between my LP and 335 especially with the different pickups helps justifying owning both.

The case is nice but it feels so large compared to my Fender and LP cases. They include the tools you need, a thin black strap, and the inspection card.
Turning pegs have a material that is non slip and tuning feels very secure. They also look great. All in all I think the the 335's from Gibson are really great.

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 10th March 2021 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Updated my impression after playing it more.

6th October 2021

Gibson ES-335 Figured - Sixties Cherry by Glenn Bucci

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

After owning a 2021 Gibson 335 Figured Cherry Red guitar for over 6 months I wanted to provide an update on this guitar.

Craftsmanship is excellent. The binding, the wood, paint job, and assembling of the guitar is top notch.

Neck: Very comfortable to play and I can access the higher parts of the neck eaiser than my 1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom. I love the block inlays as it provides a more elegant look. Even though the neck is larger than my Les Paul Custom it is still very comfortable to play.

Tone: This is a subjective to what a player wants but personally I could not be happier with these T pickups. They are a little brighter than the 60's reissue but I find this helps it cut through a mix better. In addition if I want it to be warmer, I just reduce the treble knob on my amp by one or two numbers. You can also reduce your tone knob down to 8 or even 7 to get a warmer tone. It has that woody tone that you expect from a 335.

Case i like the hardshell case and the little extra things they include inside like the Gibson strap, polishing cloth, and Allen wrench. I traveled to South Carolina for a gig and the high humidity caused the action to get too low. I was able to quickly adjust the truss rod back to where it was and it plays like a champ.

I know there are other great semi hollowbody guitars out there like Collings but for me, this guitar has the look, sound, and comfort I want in a semi hollowbody guitar. I don't miss my Carvin SH550 that I sold to help pay for this guitar.

In addition my experience with Guitar Center.com in buying this guitar through the Covid pandemic when no one had any in stock was an excellent experience. They also have the no interest deal like Sweetwater and I was able to pay off the guitar with no interest.