10th February 2021

Black Lion Audio Bluey FET Limiting Amplifier by seawell

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Black Lion Audio Bluey FET Limiting Amplifier

This is one of those odd situations where a plug in inspired me to check out a piece of hardware. I've always loved the Waves CLA-76, particularly on vocals and drums. When I tried certain Rev-A clones I never quite got the reaction I was used to in the plug in(particularly the speed of attach & release times).

Once Black Lion Audio released promo material for their Bluey I realized that CLA's Bluey had been modified quite a bit. Once I got my hands on the BLA Bluey, I finally got the response I was used to in the plug in(and beyond). I put together a video running several different sources through the Bluey that you can check out below. This thing absolutely slays on vocals and drums(check out the saturation in the mono drum room mic example)

2 weeks ago

Black Lion Audio Bluey FET Limiting Amplifier by ianmiller01

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Black Lion Audio Bluey FET Limiting Amplifier

Hey Seawell.

Yes, I was lucky to pick up a barely used one of these recently and I'm pretty happy. I just love the way the compression grabs the transients, it sounds really fat and punchy. Basically once you get the attack time right it sounds perfect.

I use it in a couple of ways. Firstly with the mix knob on 100% or close to that, for vocals. Secondly with the mix knob below 50% for that more saturated sound on drums. Love it!