Quantcast
Stam Audio SA-609 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-609
5 5 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Recreation of the Neve 33609 two-channel compressor / limiter.

14th October 2020

Stam Audio SA-609 by TheDrip

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-609

I got my SA-609 after waiting over a year for it to be built and shipped.

First thing I did was added this to my mix buss. With a flip of a switch everything just sounded wider and better. With just light compression it made multiple sessions come together.

Second test was on my drum buss. This is where I'm going to keep the SA-609 for all my future sessions. You can really crunch it and make things sound larger than life.

Final test was using one of the mono channels to run bass through. The vibe was alive. I'm going to use this in my chain to record bass moving forward.

I haven't tried it on vocals yet, but will update this review once we have both singers and rappers in session.

There is so much in this box. It was worth the wait.
Even through Covid, Stam worked to get this out to me and I'm so thankful.

9th November 2020

Stam Audio SA-609 by Deleted e9875f3

Stam Audio SA-609

This is a very high quality take on the vintage 33609. The first thing I noticed is the not so subtle color added to the mix. Richer and more refined than AMS versions.

It is very well calibrated, not a bit of stereo image tilt. Tested at 1kHz and 0.1kHz.

It's a fantastic 2bus compressor depending on the song's genre. I also loved it on snare but specially on kick drums. Dynamic kicks, slow, fast double, you name it. And it adds that low mid full tone and subtle "tch" sound on the top end transients that makes the material that much pleasant to the ear.

Great peace of gear, expensive looking and very well built.

Absolutely worth the wait.

14th May 2021

Stam Audio SA-609 by Unheard Vision

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-609

This is a beautiful, mastering-grade limiter/compressor. I waited nearly two years for this...and it was absolutely worth the wait! It arrived double-boxed, and packaged very securely. As soon as I picked it up I could tell this thing is built solidly. It's a tank. Very high quality build and the inside is so clean.

The first thing I tested was placing this on the master buss for a reggae/rock mix I'm working on. It instantly added depth and weight to the song. It tames transients so nicely and all the instruments took on a life of their own. It can be very transparent in the 1.5:1 ratio...or slammed at 6:1 with some awesome color.

I then tried it on the drum buss and my jaw dropped. The drums sounded HUGE. Larger than life. You can really crunch the drums a ton to give it a lot of character. I had fun messing around with it on the drums.

Lastly, I tried it on vocals and it is extremely smooth. I also own the StamChild, and that's been my go-to for vocals...but there is no doubt that I'll also be using this for vocals as well now for a different flavor.

I love that this has the ability to be used in dual mono mode as well...so I can use it on multiple mono sources during mixing. The switches and all the knobs are high quality and everything is stepped for ultimate precision when being used in stereo mode, which will be great for mastering applications.

I haven't had a chance to use the limiter yet, but knowing it also has a brick-wall limiter on each channel is a plus and I'm sure I'll be using it on some material.

Stam Audio continues to knock it out of the park with their gear. I have several of their compressors, and each one has so many uses and just an incredible sound. Aside from this and the StamChild, I also have the SA4000 MK2 and the 1176ADG. I wouldn't be surprised if I bought more compressors from Stam in the future.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-609-cf2f38ef-5757-45a7-84b9-2dca93d5e576.jpg  
2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA-609 by cLoudBase

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-609

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the SA609 & 4000mk2 arriving from Chile recently.
The SA609 really is a special box !!
I did an A/B of the 609 compared to the 4000 & much preferred the 609.
Not to say that your 4000mk2 isn’t fantastic, its just that the SA609 you’ve created really is a classic in its own right.

I’ve only tried it on mix buss so far as it hasn’t left that insert point on my console as yet.
It retains & then adds some to the sound stage so beautifully.
The bottom end is fantastic, retaining punch & weight even without a HPF side chain giving further depth & impact to the dynamics.
The top end is sweet & smooth retaining phase wonderfully through this make or break part of the spectrum seemingly untouched & untyped.
If anything there seems a slight improvement in spread & perceptual depth giving better separation of instruments in the overall sound field.
Midrange is brilliant, it's in just the right spot, not sucked out from compression & not pushed too forward.
I can hear the time & effort that has gone into this product & would like to congratulate you & your team on creating an awe inspiring copy of one on the most respected Neve products.

Thank You
Keep up the excellent work.

All the Best
Matt