Quantcast
Stam Audio SA-73-5 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-73-5
5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

These sound absolutely stunning on anything! Serious bang for the buck, serious sound.

10th September 2020

Stam Audio SA-73-5 by Butter Music

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-73-5

I've owned the Stam 1073 MPA for a while now and I was thrilled with the announcement of the 500 series. I ordered 4x with the Sowter output.

They shipped very fast which is something that is always a concern with Stam gear. Very well packed and very beautiful looking. The output tranny is MASSIVE. So much so that I had to remove the 2x Lola pre's (as seen in pic) just to squeeze the 4 1073's in. We want that big tranny for sound, but heads up, it will barely barely fit!

I powered on the units and 2 of them had no signal on any gain setting below 40db. Luckily I have some tech experience so I opened them up, and saw that the gain switch was very close to the chassis and got signal when I unscrewed it. Figured it was shorting and sure enough, the single piece of electrical tape there was not enough. I added a folded piece of gaffers tape and, viola! All gain settings work.

Now, one of those 2 units had some major clicking noises. I tried to diagnose but it was beyond me. Shipped it to a shop (Jeff at SES) to get fixed. Turned out to be a bad transistor. Just got it back and everything is copacetic!

So there were definitely some quality control issues - I understand that these are trying, quarantine times, so that's something I have accepted. The important thing was Josh and Teo were very responsive and helped remedy the situation. And now I have 6 channels of some seriously meaty, robust, gorgeous 1073!

2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA-73-5 by ianmiller01

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-73-5

Hi Butter Music,

I've got two of these, and I agree. They sound absolutely stunning. Nicely fat and balanced in standard use, and super meaty when you push them harder and back off the output level.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Both of mine arrived together within a couple of months of ordering and they worked fine straight out of the box.