Quantcast
PreSonus Eris E3.5 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Eris E3.5
4.8 4.8 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

Fantastic detail and easy to listen to...

22nd January 2020

PreSonus Eris E3.5 by DrAudioBot

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
PreSonus Eris E3.5

(My review ratings are all based on the price-value ratio)

For the past couple of years I have been using JBL LSR305's at home and in the studio (just recently switched back to Yamaha's with the HS8 model for studio use). For my little home studio I felt like downgrading in size was better and also to try something else.

As soon as I connected the Eris to my computer, I was blown away by the quality. After being used to the JBL's for quiet some time, I immediately noticed that the Presonus were much more detailed and clear sounding. To be honest: upper-mid and high end detail is better than on my HS8. Smallest EQ adjustements are noticable. Boosting or cutting less than a dB on hihats or the drum buss are very audible and precise.

The size of the speakers were my only concern, when I ordered them but I quickly realized it's absolutely fine. They are big enough to do some serious work. I actually had to reduce the low end a bit on the backside (Another bonus is having high and low shelf filters), because the bass port does have quiet some energy!

They are definitely more analytical than the JBL's (which tend to have a "warm" lower mid tone...which for listening purposes is great but less good for mixing decisions. I also had translation problems in the high end with the JBL's.

Over the past few weeks I started mixes at home and transfered them to the studio to finish them on my HS8's, which works very well.

It's crazy how much quality you can buy for 100€ nowadays.

I recommend these monitors if you need something small, detailed and quiet big sounding for the actual physical size!

Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Eris E3.5-erispic.jpg  

23rd February 2021

PreSonus Eris E3.5 by shank91

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
PreSonus Eris E3.5

Bought a pair today to have a second setup... I already have some Adam AX7 for studio and a pair of yamaha as well hs7 but I needed something for my living room. I really didn't expect much of them because of the cheap price (89 euros) and small size but when I heard them it was a surprise how good they sound.

Totally worth every euro

3rd August 2021

PreSonus Eris E3.5 by xbr

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
PreSonus Eris E3.5

For some time I’d been putting off buying a pair of studio monitors because my budget is limited and my research convinced me that I had to spend way more to get good monitors. But, then, these babies started popping up in my search results. I then watched a couple of videos on YT showcasing their strong points and I was really intrigued.

For only 85€ I had my doubts they could be as good as people were saying, but I decided to risk it and try them out. Best thing I’ve done! Right out of the box I was amazed that PreSonus could pack this quality into such a low price; and pack the punch they have into such a small body, as well.

They’re clear and you have a lot of detail. The instrument separation is really great for the price, so they’re great companions when you’re doing detailed mixing. With the acoustic tuning, the highs and lows, set at 0, I obtain a perfectly flat sound that really allows me, for the first time, to truly mix without having to blindly compensate for an output I know is more bass-heavy, or is brighter, or has the mids brought forward. So for the first time my mixes sound the same whether they’re on my computer, on my home sound system, on my phone, on Spotify being played in someone else’s sound system, etc.

As for the punch I mentioned: I bought the 3.5s because I already have a very busy desk, as I mainly work video production, with audio on the side. I was expecting to sacrifice quite a bit due to the size. However, again: they pack a surprising punch for the size. I keep the volume knob on the monitors at about 30-40% max, because more than that is already too loud for my comfort. Plus, already at that level my wife starts shouting at me at around 10pm asking me to use my headphones! So you can imagine if I pumped up the volume.

I keep my highs and lows in the middle, as I said, because I want a completely flat sound. But even there I find they have a very nice, present powerful bass. Not an over-powering bass, but a perfect bass for, say, electronic music, jazz, that sort of thing. So you can definitely pump up the lows if you want and get a booming sound. Again, due to their size and price I feared they would have no bass at all but quite the contrary: PreSonus has surprised in this sense, too.

As I said, I myself had been putting off buying studio monitors, but I had had the opportunity to hear some in person, at some friends’ amateur studios, as well as some more professional ones. So I can compare them to some extent. I must say that they’re considerably better than the JBL One Series 104’s and Mackie CR3-XBT’s, which are often its contenders at twice the price and around 20-30€ more, respectively. I felt the JBL’s especially were quite warm (which I love for listening, but isn’t good for mixing, obviously), and this is something I’ve read about other JBL models as well. Also, I found that when listening off axis (as when I was sitting beside and a bit behind the person mixing) they didn’t sound too good. I feel like they’re way overpriced. The Mackie’s were underwhelming. They cost more than the PreSonus 3.5s but when I heard them the first thing that popped in my mind was “you get what you pay for” (which is clearly not the case for the PreSonus monitors!). I felt like they weren’t for mixing, rather just consumer products. The sound was lacking in oomph, and the instrument separation wasn’t too good. Side by side, I would pick the PreSonus monitors as the most pro and most expensive of the 3… The first statement is definitely true; the second statement fortunately isn’t.

To me, PreSonus has left aside any marketing gimmicks, fancy or modern design, aesthetic niceties, and has invested all the money in the inside of these monitors. The result being monitors that may not win any design innovation awards, but that are surely exceptional in the sound quality. Let me just clarify that they’re not ugly in any way, they’re just, let’s say, traditional, or even maybe “plain”, but there's no issue in terms of quality. They might not elicit comments from observers such as: Wow! Those are some cool-looking monitors! But on listening to them, they’ll surely elicit a: Wow! Those are some awesome-sounding monitors!

Clearly, this last is more important. If you have a lot of money to spend on monitors (and other hardware), you can pay for aesthetics as well as sound quality. But I’m real glad PreSonus has come out with this incredibly cheap option of a pair of monitors that really perform way above their price range. This allows you to start with a great piece of hardware and obtain excellent results. It also allows you to spend on other important things such as an audio interface, midi controllers, good mics, etc.

Finally, if you've got no idea about monitors, if these are the first you get, PreSonus offers a lot of detailed material on how to calibrate them if necessary, how to position them, at what distance, angle, to get the best sound, even info on how to treat your room's sound. Moreover, these come with a great bundle with a lot of nice software and plug-ins, including Studio One, which will get you up and running right away. Really, for the price, you would expect to get some cheap-sounding monitors and not even even a thank-you note in the box! So this is by a far an incredible bargain for someone starting in music production.

2 weeks ago

PreSonus Eris E3.5 by Sound-Guy

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
PreSonus Eris E3.5

PreSonus Eris E3.5 Compact Monitor

I'll add my two cents worth on these amazing little monitors. I've used PreSonus Sceptre S6 monitors for years in my studio and they are superb. I recently bought the Eris E3.5 as a rear set of speakers for some surround sound testing, and out of the box I ran some reference tracks. Quite surprised me. As others have said, clear solid bass down lower than one expects of such a small bass driver, and excellent sonic detail through the mid-range and up. But what do they really deliver, frequency response and otherwise?

I ran tests in my studio using Room EQ Wizard with a calibrated measurement mic in a semi-anechoic environment and was further impressed: flat within +/- 3 dB from 100 Hz to 20 kHz. I also determined that the 80 Hz low end spec is not the -3 dB frequency, but close to -10 dB. While -10 dB may sound lower than you’d like, this is a 3-½ inch woofer, and psycho acoustically a 10 dB drop in level sounds about half as loud, so it still has a presence, but won’t blow out your windows. I also measured harmonic distortion over frequency and found THD highest at 80 Hz, as expected, but only about 1%, which is excellent. By 200 Hz THD drops below 0.5% and is down to about 0.3% from 500 Hz to 1 kHz, rising a little after that but staying in the 0.4% to 0.5% range out to 10 kHz. Of course harmonic distortion for a fundamental above 10 kHz has no meaning with a 20 kHz bandwidth since there is no signal above 20 kHz. I also measured THD at several levels up to as loud as I would use, and it yielded essentially the same results.

A few other more esoteric measurements (group delay, impulse response, and waterfall plots), confirmed the Eris E3.5 are outstanding. So not only do these tiny monitors sound good, they measure with excellent results that certainly belie their low price. All in all, excellent performance.

The inputs cover everything other than digital (since the Eris are purely analogue): balanced ¼ inch TRS, unbalanced RCA, and stereo 1/8 inch. And if you must, for US$40 more you can even have a Bluetooth input (Oh! That is digital!). One thing about the audio inputs – they are all on the left speaker cabinet, ¼ inch and RCA on the rear, 1/8 inch on the front next to a headphone output. Also, both power amps (25 Watts each) are in the left speaker cabinet – the connection to the right speaker is via a simple speaker wire. PreSonus provide a suitable length of wire (about 7 feet or 2 metres), as well as a pair of RCA cables and of course a power cable (no wall wart!). You just plug the left speaker into an AC voltage source between 100 V and 240 V, 50 Hz to 60 Hz. And if for some reason you want to swap left for right you can swap your left/right cables, except for the 1/8 inch stereo input where you’d need a channel-swapping cable.

The maximum output level is loud enough to cause hearing damage if you are sitting close (don't do it!) and the quiescent noise level (sound with no input signal) is zilch, even listening right up by the cones with the Eris level control all the way up. Excellent electronics.
Considering they cost 1/12 what my Sceptres cost, they are truly astounding. If you added a subwoofer in your studio, I'd say the resulting 2.1 system would enable mixing any genre accurately (assuming proper acoustic treatment of the room of course). And for mixing the important mid-range, they are really excellent on their own.

If you have need for a pair of compact monitor speakers, these would be very hard to beat for the money (even for twice the price, or more). I'd give Bang for Buck at least six stars if I could.