Quantcast
Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core - User review - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core
4.7 4.7 out of 5, based on 42 Reviews

Very special audio device!

Old 13th December 2019

Hi. I want to share my experience with Discrete 4 Synergy Core and express my opinion.
The appearance of Discrete in my studio became a replacement for RME UCX (the interface completely exhausted me), same two components - audio interface and dsp processor, right?Click here to read the entire review
6th May 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by adonielmartinez

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck N/A
  • Overall: 3.75

I was looking for the best audio interface in a 500-1K budget.

When I discovered the Discrete 4 Synergy Core I was amazed by all of its capabilities, I am a live musician that enjoys recording songs at home. The audio quality of the AD/DA convertors is outstanding, the interface preamps are very clean and good. I can play with the routing all day because de IO is amazing.

I couldn’t be more happy than I am with the quality of the hardware, as I mentioned, for live applications is very good.

Talking a little bit of the software, I’ve been playing with the emulations and is not exactly the same from the real ones, but with the right set up you can achieve a very musical sound near to the original one.

6th May 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Roderico

• Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

This is my firs review in Gearspace!!

I recently purchased this in combo with an Edge Solo microphone.

If I had to express my feelings about this product it would be something like...

"lights and shadows"

First, I´ll go with the lights:

It´s a sturdy unit. Weighs a lot for its volume, this is always a first good impression, electronics must be of the best quality... and you know you´re right when you start to listen to it.

DACs are simply perfect for my needs. Could they be any better? I don´t know, but I´m sure that my ears won´t go any further in distinguishing these from better ones (I´m sure there are more expensive options, but for a home studio...? Come on, these are superb).

I came from a Scarlett 2i2 2n gen. I have a Neumann KH750 DSP Sub plus 2 x KH120 monitor system. I have taken new measures and as soon as I have started to listen to some well known tunes... I have found out "what" makes this product outstanding. Stereo image detail. Wideness. Linearity (better measures than my Scarlett, indeed!!). And most of all, the feeling that, if I close my eyes, I can "see" the musician playing right before me.

Sound quality is astonishingly good.

Preamps? I haven´t cheked them thoroughly but the first impressions are very, very good. I´m not very sure about the microphone, because I come from recording with Neumann U87 as my favourite, I have even had the chance to use a U47 some times. The emulation stuff works well, that´s my overall impression, although some of the emus sound a bit harsh to my ears.

Now, the shadows:

Installation and authorization process is... messy. Not the most intuitive one I´ve seen. In the end, it looks like the control panel app can take control over what software is linked to a certain hardware. But... not always in the same manner. I purchased a plugin bundle, and was somehow confused about whether I should download an installer, or download it from the control pannel... finally, it looks like if the plugins "had always been there", the only difference is that now the greyed ones (the ones you can´t load) are available.

My biggest complaint about this hardware unit comes with the drivers. I´m a windows, usb user. And it looks like some of the stuff is reserved for MAc-thunderbolt users. AFX2DAW isn´t working in windows. And this is not new. I´ve seen forums in which people complain about this, and Antelope promises a solution for years. It doesn´t look promising. I can´t use the internal dsps processed plugins with any of my daws. And it looks like I never will. Antelope looks like the eternal promising brand. Other brands just react, hire some programmers, and offer a good updating policy for their products. This doesn´t seem to be the case.

The FPGA routing is still a mystery for me. I have tried somthing from Pro Tools, Studio One... with no luck. But I already knew this unit takes patience, a steep learning curve comes with it.

I must say I´ve had some driver crashes. The Discrete stops sounding, and no matter what I do, it won´t sound until I restart my computer, even more, sometimes I have to unplug the power cable and then restart it all over again. Fortunately, these crashes don´t happen often. Not even every day. Say twice a week. My computer is Ryzen 3700.

Overall, I´m quite satisfied, since I wanted a very good DAC, and I have it. But I have the feeling I have paid for a part of the product which I´ll never use, not because I don´t need it, but just because Antelope isn´t willing to develope USB drivers for Windows that let me do so.

15th May 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by r.c.h.

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I got this audio interface in exchange for a defective Discrete 4 and I am absolutely satisfied. Quality, sound of the pre amp (4 discrete inputs) and of course the AFX effects are just great! The pre amps are very clean and neutral and with the right effects, vocals and instruments in particular can be perfectly shaped. Very low latency (<3ms). I also got a modeling microphone (Edge Solo) and a large effects package from Antelope Audio for free. I am very happy that I chose this device.

26th May 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by unafraid

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

I started off with the Zen Go, and was attracted by the Discrete 4 Synergy Core because I already knew what to expect in terms of the sound quality and effects. The Discrete 4 is a smallish unit which can be expanded as far as the home user wants. It has 4 mic inputs, 2 at the front and 2 at the back.

I had already got into the Antelope microphone emulation system with the Edge Duo and the Verge, but wanted to be able to record a two-channel track for vocal and a track for guitar at the same time. You can only do this on the Zen Go if you use external preamps/converters via the SP/DIF port. Even then you can't record one of the tracks with the microphone emulations but have to add them afterwards. So I looked again at the Antelope system and the Discrete 4 Synergy Core seemed to have everything I needed and might want in the future.

Apart from that, and uniquely for a unit of this size, so far as I know, there are 4 headphone outputs on the Discrete 4, each of which can have their own mix. I don't actually know of any larger units from other manufacturers which have 4 headphone outputs. Add to that the ADAT expandability and it's an incredibly flexible unit.

You need to use the mains adapter on this one, whereas the Zen Go can be USB powered. However, the Discrete 4 has a proper Thunderbolt port and also WordClock out connectors in addition to all the extra features.

I also prefer the size and responsiveness of the rotary knob on the Discrete 4 to the one on the Zen Go when adjusting monitor levels. Monitors can be muted with one push of the knob for recording (or you can do it in software if you want). Once I'd figured out the front panel buttons they were very intuitive to use, unlike my old RME Babyface, partly because there is a nice bright colour screen on the Discrete which really helps workflow.

I have no quibbles at all about the preamp and converter quality, and no desire to look elsewhere. I have put 4/5 for 'Ease of use' and 'Bang for buck', purely because it is a unit which takes a little time to get to know, and it is not at an entry-level price point. However, once you get used to it, it is easy to use and the features and quality do repay the price of entry.

I am not yet using the AFX2DAW system since the software isn't compatible with the M1 Macs at the time of this review. At first I didn't realise that it was possible to use the effects in a DAW anyway without the AFX2DAW software by setting them up as hardware inputs. A customer service representative mentioned that in passing. I then did a search and found a video which explains the setup process with different DAWs, and within a couple of minutes I was up and running.

I have the effects which I use the most filling all the insert slots on the inputs, and bypass the ones I don't want to use at the time, and change the order if needed. They are inserted automatically when the computer boots up, and don't seem to cause any strain whatsoever. I will probably save various configurations at some point so I can recall them easily.

The effects are like hardware units, in that there is no way (as yet, at least) to save presets on them, but you can take a snapshot of the entire rack and recall it. Some of the effects are truly superb, and I actually look forward to using them, especially given the lack of CPU hit.

So all in all I am pretty happy with the unit. I have no need for anything bigger, and now that I am used to it, I would miss it if it were gone and would buy another one if I needed to. Because it is more complex as a system compared to most other audio interfaces, and because Antelope are traditionally a high-end manufacturer, there are not a huge number of reviews and instructional videos around so it does take a bit of time to learn and to know what to expect, but once you get used to the Antelope way of doing things, you really reap the rewards.

11th June 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by waltermente

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

Hi friends!
I want to share with you my joy in obtaining my Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core interface.

First, I want to tell you that I'm from Argentina, where the economic situation and the restriction on imports and the purchase of dollars makes accessing professional equipment as difficult a task as it was dreamed of.
That's why I was doubly surprised by my Discrete 4 SC.

Although before having it in my hands I had already read all the comments on the web and seen each review and video that exists on this interface, when I had it, I was able to impress myself even though I already "knew" it.

What surprised me (outside of what you read in most reviews):

- I obtained a solid, firm and aesthetically impeccable team. It weighs like something expensive.
- It is totally intuitive from the first start
- The ease of routing and how well explained each menu

The thing that most impressed me:

- The quality of the emulations of the Fx.
- The audio difference with my previous interface. I was using a Mackie 1640i and believe me: There is two audio difference.
- THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT. While I have to admit that I had a couple of issues with the driver and some other question in the GUI of some of the FX, the first time I wrote to them for mail they responded to me literally within 2 minutes. 2 MINUTES! They always respond, they always solve, they are always clear in the explanation and offer something that I did not see in no other company: connect by Teamviewer to my PC and solve my problems of remotely. Amazing!

CONCLUSION:
I would buy ANTELOPE again. The way and especially the quality of work changed for me.

17th June 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by laban1

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Have just bought it, so this is an early review.
Was combined with the mic Edge Solo, a great deal because I needed a mic and in tests I listened to, it sounded better than Slate ML-1, more dynamic IMO (though it was compared to the Edge duo, Sweetwater). The Discrete4 is very stable in action as tests had indicated. I often have a lot of tracks running. The Pre-amps has a lot of headroom and very little noise. Probably will background noise be a bigger problem if you have any. There are a lot of plugins included, but have not tested them enough to give any feedback on them. Easy to mute the speakers by pushing in "the big" knob, a nice feature I stumbled upon.

9th August 2021

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by kinesound

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

This device can do 4 things and 4 things really well:

1: It's a great clock and has replaced my $2k au Apogee Big Ben. I can't tell the difference with my cloth ears.
2: It's a great AD converter. On par if not better than my Lynx Aurora.
3: It has 4 great preamps which sound as good as my Metric Halo 2-8-8-2 and nearly as good as my 4 x Neves.
4: As a DSP it's a great addition to my UADs. Plugs are great and straight forward. A little bland but better bland than crappy. The Discrete 4 offers a decent amount of DSP as opposed to the Go which is instance throttled. Would be nice to know the incidence count in advace rather than running out mid stream and only realising it once you move away from the DAW.

Now the small issues:
The AFX2DAW is a little flakey with PT12. Distortion on mono channels for some strange reason. AFX2DAW should ALWAYS be free. Goodness me.
The overall fell of the software is iffy at first but persistence paid off.

These things will be solid down the track and I'm happy to support kick arse new entries into the jaded DAW/ DSP market. Well done Antelope.

Finally can we get some different music beds for your videos. They're not at all inspiring unless you're inspiring to be on Capital radio in the 90s LOL.

Yuri Worontschak

4 weeks ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by combostar

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Very nice card, the sound is incredible and the interface seems very solid.

i have a mac book pro 2018, it's connected in thunderbolt. It's not very stable but the support help me.

I use it with the motu 828 mk3 in adat and it work perfectly well.
the latency is really low around 4 ms.

The routing can be desappointing at the beginning but after one tutorial it's perfectly clear.

The AFX2DAW is amazing!!!!

The last point is i didn't get how to use the reverb into my daw.

3 weeks ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Fjsoundshack

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I was in search of a more professional sound so decided to take a gamble on Antelope Audio. I didn't have any experience with Antelope products, but needed to take the step towards higher quality. The Discrete 4 SC was a HUGE step in the right direction. The preamps are ultra quiet, and the product integrated with my Windows system and Cubase straight out of the box. Next to no latency, and easy to operate. The installer instructions were clear and simple, and the interface was functioning as it promised within minutes.
It didn't take me too long to get my head around the features, but I did jump on YouTube to find some pretty handy videos to help me get started.
The FPGA plugins are next level, and get me closer to a bunch of hardware gear that I'll never be able to afford.
I bought the interface with the Edge Solo emulations mic and loved it from the first go. Clicking through the different mic options has been a lot of fun. Clients coming in to record vocals have enjoyed searching for the mic that best compliments their voice.
Antelope have very much won me over, as their customer service has been prompt and friendly. They answered recent queries I had about my transition to Mac. The interface is my main reason for moving from Windows to Mac, as I wanted to unlock the AFX2DAW software that allows me to use the onboard plugins within Cubase.
Antelope will be the first place I look when planning to take the next step in my studio setup.

All smiles here!

Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core-20211105_125232.jpg  
1 week ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by scnertho

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

In a word…wow. I recently upgraded to the Discrete 4 Synergy from a ~$500 interface, and before that a $200 interface. Let’s just say the difference is night and day. Even between the ~$500 interface - the Discrete 4 just blows them out of the water. Everything I’ve put through it sounds amazing. The preamps are clear but still warm, and the line in jacks are crystal clear and do not provide any colouration of the source audio. I’m using a Focusrite ISA One into one of the line in jacks, and it sounds exactly as it does when tracking from the ISA One itself. The AD is astonishing, so much detail, and the separation is pro quality. You really can hear each individual component discreetly, and when mixing multiple sources it just sounds amazing. It sounds professional, that’s the easiest way to describe it. If you are stepping up to this interface from a low-mid range interface, you will absolutely be blown away. Not to mention the on-board DSP FX. That just takes it to a whole other level. Anything you want to capture with this will sound amazing. A slight learning curve with the Antelope software, but after a couple of sessions you realise how intuitive the workflow really is. Just buy it. If you’re considering one of these, and comparing it to anything under $1500, just buy it. Better than anything else in the price range (and probably beyond!).

6 days ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by neofolk

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

My first review and I'm doing it because of all the bad press AA gets. I stayed away from the for years because of comments on this site. A lot of issues with drivers, etc. I ran into a guy who had one and told me how great it was, so I thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Right away, I knew this little thing blew away everything in and above its class. The preamps are insanely good. I record a lot of acoustic guitar and right away I heard more clarity and depth. Mine came with the free mic and plugins and I had some issues getting it all to work so I called them and the guy I spoke with was nice and helpful. Had me going in 2 minutes. Plugins seem to be on par with just about any others out there, though I haven't put them through the paces yet. This little box is a beast! My only gripes are the lack of buttons for things like 48v. You have to click on the preamp and then hold down the volume knob to activate certain things (or do it in the software). The free modeling mic is really good too. I had the Slate mic for a minute and I like this better. My biggest grip is the mixing software. It feels a little clunky and could be better for sure. But it's not something I use a lot, so I can deal with it. I hope they focus on making more plugins and mic models. This interface should be killing UAD but it seems like Antelope could use some help in marketing because no one seems to know how good it is.

17 hours ago

Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core by Flosal

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5

I am currently in the process of building my own small studio as professionally as possible and within a limited budget, so I spent last year doing loads of research into gear that would be the most profitable. I heard from a known engineer in my area about the brand, and was mostly interested in the implementation of the DSP and FPGA integrated within the interface. Right away, my attention shifted to research only that brand, looked out for reviews and what not. Finally, and comparing it with other brands in terms of budget and benefits, Antelope won. After the purchase and right away after trying it, I can say that I can't be any more satisfied with my decision and anxious to have my studio complete and exploit it.
Out of the things that I'm mostly impressed with are the A/D converters, which, in my perception, are almost on par with top end converters I have personally tried.
What I like the most are the routing capabilities as well as the simulations, this is a game changer. I can use internal routing within the interface in order to use the gear simulations to process the signal, be it while recording at the channel input, or while mixing using it as a virtual "external hardware". I haven't used the AFX2DAW yet, which I know should make the aforementioned process easier, but even so as it is, it works and it does it amazingly.
This interface on its own is pretty solid, with great potential to compete with top end gear. At least for me, it has definitely become an essential piece of what will be my studio. Cheers to Antelope for developing such a feat!