Quantcast
Sonodyne SRP800 - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonodyne SRP800
4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Natural, detailed, deep, wide and no hype.

23rd July 2016

Sonodyne SRP 800 by Boggo Myrtle

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Sonodyne SRP800

I wanted something more detailed and natural sounding than my Adam A7s (which in fairness have served me very well), preferably with better bottom end.

After months of research I narrowed my shortlist down to PSI A17Ms, Event Opals, Adam A77x, and Sonodyne SRP800s.

I wasn’t able to demo all of these.

The PSIs were going to be about 5k (AUD) which was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Event Opals aren’t being made at the moment.

Adam A77x mount horizontally which doesn’t suit my space ergonomically and I wanted something different from the Adams.

I then stumbled across this Gearslutz thread New Sonodyne SRP line vs PSI vs Quested vs old Sonodyne - impressions

In it the Sonodynes are compared very favorably to higher end monitors from PSI, Quested and others.

Post 186 is a good summary. It says “SRP 800 sound almost perfect to me. Decent, big sound with considerable depth and all the details you need. Nothing hyped, nothing boosted. To me sounding a substantial league better than for example KH 0300 - for half the price ... not mentioning Adams, Genelec, Rocks, JBL and few others that came through here recently. Very serious adepts for high quality nearfields for any decent studio. I did not expect them to be so good”.

So I took a punt and ordered the SRP800s.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to a lot of the other speakers mentioned in the thread. The most 'high-end' speakers I have had a good listen to are Duntech Sovereigns in a great mastering room.

But what I can say is that these Sonodyne SRP800s are exactly what I wanted.

They are very natural and detailed sounding. I cannot hear any added hype or colour. They have wonderful depth and width. They sound like they are presenting the entire frequency spectrum and stereo field with clarity and precision. The bottom end sounds juicey and opulent, but, again, not hyped. They just sound and feel ‘right’ to me. What more could I ask for?

12th May 2021

Sonodyne SRP 800 by lereim

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Sonodyne SRP800

I needed new monitors after using Audio Technica a couples of Years. Needed medium price nut I:
Went to my soundgear deler (Procom Music) in Norway and A/B testet all speakers/monitors in the store using blindtest, without knowing price or brand. I ned up with a pair of SRP800 and 500. Very transparent and easy to get to know. Only drawback i that a speaker element blew out after Lightning.