Quantcast
Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop - User review - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop
5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Louder Than Lifoff´s Chop Shop EQ is outstanding - just nothing like it!!!

21st March 2016

Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop by 4strings

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop

I am the opposite of a seasoned pro engineer, so this comes straight from my musicians heart:

The Chop Shops have instantly impressed me more than any other gear I own. A somehow different approach to EQ, outstanding musical, versatile and fun to work with. It changed my way of using EQ and I tend to approach them more like I used to handle sounds with my old Sony receiver, i.e. cranking with the treble and a bass knob. The Focus function will let you settle either more for the bass or treble range of sounds. An additional and super beefy and tasty lo-cut („12 dB/oct filter that rolls off low frequencies, variable 20 to 530 Hz“) and a creamy and delicious hi-cut („6 dB/oct filter that rolls off high frequencies, variable 500 Hz to 25 kHz. 0.5X switch shifts frequency range one octave lower, while simultaneously increasing slope to 12 dB/oct and adding slight resonance at corner frequency to retain apparent brightness“) complement the Focus function. And not to forget the Bump knob which is a „variable resonance control for LO-CUT that adds a resonant "bump" at the corner frequency“. This is a secret weapon that can get your ears wiggle with every beat of eg an bassdrum.
No matter what source I was sending through my Chop Shops it always gave that something special to the signals, lifely and smooth, it is so unbelievable easy to find the desired setting for every single sound source I tried it on (vocals, drums, guitars) and do some refined sound sculpting. And even if you go pass the line of what might commonly be considered to be good and healthy, the Chop Shops make an outsanding job, almost impossible to make something sound bad at all. Actually go crazy with the Focus and the Bump knobs on a bassdrum and you might find that perfect big oomph thing going on that none of your other EQs might have been able to provide.
Brad, by the way, is one of the nicest guys I ever dealt with in the audio business: helpful, patient and friendly.
Go for a pair or more and make yourself happy.