3rd March 2016

Neumann M 147 by Onan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Neumann M 147

The m147 was my first high-dollar mic, purchased 15 years ago, and after adding many more mics in its quality-range, it's still my favorite for my voice and for acoustic guitar. Its frequency curve reduces low-mids a bit, boosts high-mids a bit, and has a sweet and non-sibilant high boost that fits male vox in a dense rock mix perfectly, and I prefer it for that purpose over the Flea 47, the tlm67, the u87ai, and the Flea 49 Next. The m147 also has a very usable proximity effect, so the singer can massage the upper-bass. In a sparse mix, though, it's a little lacking in low end, leaving it sounding a little "small" compared to those other mics.

Its frequency curve also means it's not an all-rounder for me.

I give it 4 for features because I think mics in this price range should have a low-cut filter. Actually, I understand this mic does have a low-cut filter, but you have to open it up to engage it, which makes no sense to me. I wish they'd put a switch on the body.

7th March 2016

Neumann M 147 by YKlein

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Neumann M 147

I'm using this mic over 13 years now, with a pandalum mic pre into a tube-tech CL1B

The kind of control this mic has is unreal! Want more low end? Simply get closer. Is the singers voice full of air, angle it down to let the air pass underneath and it captures the voice beautifully.

When it comes to recording children choir, OMG this mic rocks!

I use it as an ambient mic for drums. Oh, Did I mention acoustic guitar? Just play around with different mic positions and get totally different sounds!

Violins! Omg it sounds crazy!

Reeds, especially saxophone, it jumps out of the mix!

I never liked the u87 for its somehow artificial high-end, vs this mic is natural.

If u ever experience bad sound with this mic, begin examining the room tone in your recording room...

I can't say enough about this mic. If I win the lottery, I will still buy this Mic!