Recordings of live concerts in Flac quality or better - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recordings of live concerts in Flac quality or better
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Recordings of live concerts in Flac quality or better

Hi, as music nut and complete outsider, I was wondering about this:
There seems to be a growing trend that recordings of live concerts are available for sale after the concert.
I like that! Not everybody is equally enthusiastic about squashed and way-too-loud studio rock and pop recordings, and that live feel is something special. I suspect that there is quite a market for these recordings. Problem is, most of the available concert recordings are mp3 files only.
Now to my question: Do you guys see any trend toward offering recordings of live concerts in 16/44.1 quality? Maybe to sell as downloads?
As I wrote, there seems to be a market for better quality recordings, and technically it shouldn`t be a huge challenge.
Just asking.......
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
FLAC is just a lossless compression scheme, an excellent one. FLAC a WAV file and then un-FLAC it and you have a bit-for-bit identical copy of the original. It is only as good as what it was created from, never better.

As the concert recording will be made as a WAV file, hopefully 24/48 or 24/96 it can easily be reduced to 16/44.1 and FLAC'ed. It is the same amount of effort as making an MP3 file. A FLAC is the same in sound as the WAV as it is un-FLAC'ed in playback. Ask the sound peddlers to offer the option. They can't truly believe that we are all deaf idiots, I think.
Old 17th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum โžก๏ธ
FLAC is just a lossless compression scheme, an excellent one. FLAC a WAV file and then un-FLAC it and you have a bit-for-bit identical copy of the original. It is only as good as what it was created from, never better.

As the concert recording will be made as a WAV file, hopefully 24/48 or 24/96 it can easily be reduced to 16/44.1 and FLAC'ed. It is the same amount of effort as making an MP3 file. A FLAC is the same in sound as the WAV as it is un-FLAC'ed in playback. Ask the sound peddlers to offer the option. They can't truly believe that we are all deaf idiots, I think.
Thanks.
Actually, I know what a FLAC file is, and to rephrase my question, I was wondering if you guys knew about any plans to offer live concert recordings in a higher resolution format than mp3.
I believe that there is a market for this. Especially amongst music buffs who think that normal rock/pop studio recordings are too dynamically limited, or squashed.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
OK, now I am clear. Yes, you are right. It should be an option for after-concert CD's. Downside? FLAC's take more space that MP3's so the vendors could not get a whole concert onto one CD. But offering it as an option is a great idea. Push it.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I offer a limited selection of downloads from my CD recordings, and my clients other projects in FLAC and mp3 format. It takes quite a bit of effort and web knowledge to setup your own download webstore without having to manage it, and it is hardly a lucrative venture.

Distributors like CD-Baby also offer FLAC downloads in addition to mp3.

And then there is the million dollar question. How many people actually listen to music on anything better than an ipad or laptop speakers? Loss-less quality means nothing to the majority of music consumers, and most apple mobile devices don't natively support FLAC last time I checked.
Old 17th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic โžก๏ธ
How many people actually listen to music on anything better than an ipad or laptop speakers? Loss-less quality means nothing to the majority of music consumers, and most apple mobile devices don't natively support FLAC last time I checked.
If you add all together, I'm confident we're talking about millions. Sure the audiophile community plus those old timers that still listen to a decent stereo at home may be small compared to mobile listening. But still, it's definetly a considerable number when added up.

However, the main problem isn't the MP3 format. MP3 in 320 kbps isn't lacking much compared to lossless. Often it's difficult to distingush them in a blindtest (but still possible). The real difference though, lies in the quaity of recording and mixing/mastering. For instance, the use of compression today squeezes out the life of music which is a shame. And no one really benefits from it.
It's odd when digitally ripped vinyl is the best we have in today's advanced technical society.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Do you guys see any trend toward offering recordings of live concerts in 16/44.1 quality? Maybe to sell as downloads?
Given the millions (I guess) of live concerts available on CDs (="16/44.1 quality") then there's hardly a shortage of such recordings on the market. So the question becomes, should more CDs (of all kinds) be available as FLAC downloads? Well, it would be nice for those who have some problem in obtaining CDs and ripping them themselves, but that, logically, would seem to be the only reason to have the option. And not many people have the problem. Well, I suppose there's some kind of instant gratification involved in immediately downloading vs waiting for the postman, but again, not really much of a deal for most people.

And providing FLAC versions of higher resolution recordings begs the question, who can tell the difference? According to the Boston report, almost nobody. http://drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf refers. And given the lack of unchallenged evidence that the vast majority of people prefer CD quality to high bitrate mp3, that further undermines the market case. (In other words, there is no evidence that most people prefer high resolution flac to high bitrate mp3, so it's hard to build a business on the assumption that such a preference exists in commercial numbers).
๐Ÿ“ Reply