Quantcast
Three Mixes: A Boojum/JNorman case study - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Three Mixes: A Boojum/JNorman case study
Old 29th June 2021
Gear Addict

PS - for those wondering why TF doesn't use any of the textbook near-coincident arrays in the middle, I think I found the answer: if you punch in the specs for TF's spacing and angling of the subcards into the Sengspiele imaging calculator, you'll see that the localization almost exactly matches that of the 27" spaced omnis; all the usual near-coincident arrays are much narrower than the 27" omnis. Using the calculator, you can find the spacing/angleing of any pattern to match the localization of the omins.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I think you'll find that 47 cms for the centre sub-cardioid/cardioid pair is arrived at by TF empirically, presumably to offset that 'clumped in the centre' ambience he is trying to escape from. Even in references by TF himself, in videos and diagrams, I've seen variations from 43-47cms...so clearly not set in stone.

As for outer omnis at 67cm...that is far less empirical and you'll find it a common width for full orchestral material and originating from Onno Scholze, before TF adopted it....what he calls one of the "golden spacings" in the video linked below.

There are numerous threads here on GS about 'optimal' omni pair spacings (and are we talking about flat omnis... or diffuse field equalized omnis with APE spheres, DPA nosegrids and 6-8kHz bumps and shelves, or M50's with huge HF rises ?) and I encourage you to investigate them.

Check out these response graphs.....
Neumann KM 183 | RecordingHacks.com
Neumann M 50 | RecordingHacks.com
Earthworks Audio QTC30 | RecordingHacks.com

What's your take on the Williams spacing recommendations ? https://microphone-data.com/media/fi...%20zoom-10.pdf Do you have a suggestion for an optimal SRA ?

Please...if you haven't done so already, allow TF to give you an hour of his time: especially from around 25 mins in, if you're rushed for time: >>> YouTube
Hi Studer, thanks for the SRA link.
📝 Reply