Cello and b.c. recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cello and b.c. recording
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cello and b.c. recording

Hi guys,
Some time ago I've made a recording of a cello sonata with b.c.
I had not a great room and therefore some balance issues. I worked a bit on the mix, here comes one sample of this work.
Recording is done with 2 omni micophones (Gefell M270) and cello had a spot microphone - Beyer M130.
Let me know wht your feelings are.

Greetings,
Strad
Attached Files

rv46m1a.mp3 (2.74 MB, 327 views)

Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The cello is clear and distinct but the other instrument sometimes stretches the entire soundfield. The tone is great.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi Marcin!
A bit too much cello to my taste (and not enough harpsichord, of course!), difficult to identify all theorbo notes because of that and the cembalo sounds a bit metallic (but perhaps that's the instrument).
Love the cello color, though.
Perhaps the global mix could use some depth by adding a minimum of reverb?
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for your opinion guys. The goal was to make the sound as coherent as possible, since in the small hall I didn't manage to get the depth and there are some space modifications already made. I don't know if I can make the depth deeper than it is now...Making the continuo instruments louder and more present brings them more to the front what makes the depth even smaller. Will try though to experiment a bit more with the spots of the continuo instruments, maby there is some space for improvement.

Ps: Cornel, the cellist does not think that the cello is too loud Do you play cembalo by accident? (just joking you nusty "cembalo is never too loud" cembalist )
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
In the famous treatise of 1438,5 by the famous composer Ra. M. Oh, it is clearly written that "the Harpsicord shall never bee too loud, nor can It be too much".
End of fun

Continuo just lacks a tiny bit of definition I think, they should not be too much more in front. Always a pity to record in less ideal halls!

BTW: I heard you will be around in near future? In for a drink somewhere? :-) Let's discuss this on FB or by mail! Bacioni!
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know what you feel and what your point is absolutely agree with it (as you know ) here I'm stuck a bit by a coherent feeling to the ears. With a bit more continuo I don't get the sound which is nice to listen to, this is my first and last concern. The hall looked nice - could be nice for the cello and theorbo/guitar, but cembalo overpowered both and with color and with volume. Pity I didn't have much to say about the choice, it was partialy a "political" decision. That's life.

I will be "there" soon, a little meeting sounds lovely. Catch you on FB Greetings to your lovely Lady
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well, I've made some small changes, what I thought is still coherent but also with a bit more continuo instruments. The color of the cembalo is very much defined by the hall, the instrument is actually very nice, guitar was eaten a bit too much in the main, so I don't think I van get it more. let me know, what you feel.
Attached Files

rv46m1b.mp3 (2.73 MB, 208 views)

πŸ“ Reply