Sony HDR-MV1 mic quality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony HDR-MV1 mic quality
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Cool Sony HDR-MV1 mic quality

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my recent experience with the Sony HDR-MV1 music video recorder.
I have had a Zoom Q3HD for a long time, with average video quality and average audio quality. Usefull for people like me that play harpsichord and not always have time, space or courage to pack microphones, computer, stands, cables, interface etc. with a harpsichord in the car and having to set all these things up. The Zoom did the job so far of collecting memories for lots of concerts I gave.

But recently I saw some promo about the new Sony HDR-MV1. Broad angle lens, which is interesting to put the camera not too far away from the stage (risk of getting stolen or kicked) and much better microphones (in a fixed XY 120° setting) than the Zoom. Or perhaps it's just my imagination. Anyway, you can see and hear how it sounds and feels like in the video below.

Korneel Bernolet | FROBERGER Partita C-Dur "Lamento" - YouTube

Sound is 100% Sony, at about 3m from the harpsichord on a camera stand around 1m high. A harpsichord is always difficult to capture, especially with low-cost microphones or cameras, but this sound is actually quite deep and round. Not as it would have been recorded with my Shures and RME, but hey, did not have to carry all these, just these small cameras with stands, all on batteries.
Video with full harpsichord is the Sony camera. Zoom camera placed at the keyboard. Despite the low light in the beautiful chapel (Jesus College in Cambridge UK), I think the (very well priced) cameras did a decent job.

Don't forget to switch to 1080p HD for better video and audio of course.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not bad for on board microphones
However this would sound good on a Fisher Price cassette, its so wonderous
It would be nice to hear a little more chapel acoustic ,but it seems very good value for money for a careful performer.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yes, but more chapel acoustics would mean a more distant image, with this broad angle camera :-) Compromises as always...
Thanks for the compliment, it's wonderful music that is not played enough I think. And indeed, these on-board mics are pretty good value for money -- and way better than the Zoom's...
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis ➡️
Yes, but more chapel acoustics would mean a more distant image, with this broad angle camera :-) Compromises as always...
Thanks for the compliment, it's wonderful music that is not played enough I think. And indeed, these on-board mics are pretty good value for money -- and way better than the Zoom's...
Quite useful for the practising musician! And perhaps good enough for audition tapes.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am an unabashed SONY slut. And that little camera is really good for what it is. Your playing and the hall were good, too. ;o) Thanks for the post.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This Sony has a direct out, I wonder if those mics sound quality is close to the Rode NT4 ones

📝 Reply