Quantcast
Faure Requiem on 3 mikes.. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Faure Requiem on 3 mikes..
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's just not fair ... super gear AND Gloucester ;-)
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doesn't always work Heva
Just 10 days earlier I was in Tewkesbury Abbey for Noyyes Fludde
A job that would have made even Deccas eyes water.
I failed on that one (it was the second gig of the day)
Huge orchestra under a built Ark in the middle of the Nave ,performance 'in the round' Hundreds of children roaming all over the place,Chaos incarnate,public everywhere....
Needed at least 12 radios to make it work,I got about half of it..
Not my scene any more
But it was great fun
Roger
Old 20th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
Its Gloucester Cathedral Peter.
thank you.

Peter
Old 21st August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
What a coincidence, I did Noyyes Fludde just three weeks ago. Truly dreadful acoustic but had to make it work, live to air.

Hmmm, reminds me, the conductor was English and did a great job.

Haig

Quote:
Doesn't always work Heva
Just 10 days earlier I was in Tewkesbury Abbey for Noyyes Fludde
A job that would have made even Deccas eyes water.
I failed on that one (it was the second gig of the day)
Huge orchestra under a built Ark in the middle of the Nave ,performance 'in the round' Hundreds of children roaming all over the place,Chaos incarnate,public everywhere....
Needed at least 12 radios to make it work,I got about half of it..
Not my scene any more
But it was great fun
Roger
Old 21st August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here is a pic of the run through.
Roger
What was the purpose of those figures in the seats front/right?

The photo shows how very different most of our American "churches in a rectangular box" are from this Cathedral. It makes me wonder if you would still use a similar mic setup in one of our "boxes?"
Old 22nd August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➑️
What was the purpose of those figures in the seats front/right?

The photo shows how very different most of our American "churches in a rectangular box" are from this Cathedral. It makes me wonder if you would still use a similar mic setup in one of our "boxes?"
Those figures in the seats front/right are cello cases, left in the seats during the "run-through." They'll presumably not be there for the performance.

A quick check with wikipedia shows there are 496 cathedrals in the US. While most of those won't have the sheer size of Gloucester, the interior will be the same cross configuration so the mic setup should easily work as well in any of them. As far as a more boxlike and smaller parish church is concerned, the performance of this type of choral work with orchestra would generally require a large enough group that the same mic setup would still be a good option.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS ➑️
Those figures in the seats front/right are cello cases,
Damn It!!

I was hoping they were robots. I thought 'finally, the future has arrived'
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds great - great job!

Which mic pres pres you have on hand?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm glad to find out they were instrument cases.

This picture illustrates maybe some of the difference in churches I was thinking about. The Cathedral has everyone together. In the picture below, the orchestra is spread everywhere. I lost count, but I think there were something like 30 mics.
Attached Thumbnails
Faure Requiem on 3 mikes..-choir-photo.jpg  
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➑️
I'm glad to find out they were instrument cases.

This picture illustrates maybe some of the difference in churches I was thinking about. The Cathedral has everyone together. In the picture below, the orchestra is spread everywhere. I lost count, but I think there were something like 30 mics.
This ensemble reminds me of some particular "audiophile" recordings, with a big hole in the string sound filled in with woodwinds and soloists. That seems like a fun and challenging gig! Did you have to deal at all with delay issues between chorus and conductor/orchestra?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➑️
Sounds great - great job!

Which mic pres pres you have on hand?
The clue is in the file name
Nagra, I also have a Sonosax mixer on hand should things get out of hand.

As for boxy new churches, as long as the conductor can see and hear everybody, to his satisfaction, then my pair of eights will render them with accuracy.
Wether this sounds pleasing is a very different matter.
I turned down a mighty Elgar performance earlier this year because of concerns of the venue, a massive assembly hall totally packed with choirs orch and punters, no room for a sensible main array in the vital placement.

As for Gloucester Cathedral it indeed is a delightfull venue for performers and audience during July,however in December it can be a trifle chilly...
Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Faure Requiem on 3 mikes..-dsc_0061.jpg   Faure Requiem on 3 mikes..-dsc_0066.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➑️
This ensemble reminds me of some particular "audiophile" recordings, with a big hole in the string sound filled in with woodwinds and soloists. That seems like a fun and challenging gig! Did you have to deal at all with delay issues between chorus and conductor/orchestra?
Kevin... I've recorded that room (FBC Nashville) more times than I can remember. When they cram the orch onto the stage, you end up with tymps, chimes and perc directly (as in, 3'/1m) in front of the altos. Hmmm...

The other side of that space is that it is a 60' tall, 1300-seat hexagon built of brick and glass. Large, flat planes of brick and glass. With hardwood pew backs. Hmmm...

Interesting, it is. Fun...? Not usually.

HB

BTW, my wife is, for 30 years, one of the altos...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➑️
This was not my recording, but it seemed to me that there was an audible delay listening to them live. It had to be a challenge for the recording engineers.

I was in a different, large church in August with a 125 member choir seated something like 6 or 8 rows deep which meant the choir was spread wide in a loft about 12' over the stage. The fixed install had something like 8 choir mics spread over the loft. The piano and the organ were on the stage beneath the loft. IMO, it is an architectural design that isn't music or recording friendly.

The photo Rolo posted got me to thinking about the obvious physical differences between the Cathedral and these two American churches.

My take on this is having to put up a lot of mics because of the musicians being spread apart loses out to Rolo's set up in this Cathedral where they are closer together and the acoustics are better. Venue matters as does the ability of the musicians to self balance themselves.

And I guess the time of year and weather also matters as some tend to go flat when it's cold.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This ensemble reminds me of some particular "audiophile" recordings, with a big hole in the string sound filled in with woodwinds and soloists.
Uhg, you mean like everything coming out of DG lately. Not the way we were meant to hear this music IMO. Hearing that frustrates me to no end. That is the most positive thing about minimal miking, everything is where it should be. (as long as they are seated that way that is)
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic ➑️
Uhg, you mean like everything coming out of DG lately. Not the way we were meant to hear this music IMO. Hearing that frustrates me to no end. That is the most positive thing about minimal miking, everything is where it should be. (as long as they are seated that way that is)
Actually, the recording im thinking of specifically was a minimal mic-ing deal, lol! It's not a bad sound, just an interesting way that they used the "hole in the middle" to their advantage on that one.

But I do agree with you for the most part about DG releases sounding a bit.... Tweaked? Though I do love Anna Netrebkos albums, especially the Russian Album. Also found an album of Rachmaninov concertos a few weeks ago on DG.... With none other than Tony Faulkner as the engineer! It was a pleasant surprise, and and even more pleasant sound.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anna Netrebkos albums are good but do not compare with Deccas Kingsway Hall renderings from the 60s
Pure operatic magic for non opera lovers, ie me.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anna Netrebkos albums are good but do not compare with Deccas Kingsway Hall renderings from the 60s
Pure operatic magic for non opera lovers, ie me.
I totally agree with you, and that's one thing I always hear and love in your recordings is that older style of perspective, where the voice doesn't sound so close. What Wilkinson and the others at Decca were capturing in the 70s is the pinnacle of opera recording for me.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Though I do love Anna Netrebkos albums, especially the Russian Album.
I love her albums too. Especially the ones with lots of pictures.
Old 30th August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
2 x MKH 30 on a tall C stand behind conductor
1 x MKH 40 next to conductor for soloists
On a hot July evening with thunder in the air.
Can you give any more information on the orchestra/label/release date? I'd like a cd.
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its an archive recording at the moment
Things might change in the future.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This recording is so good.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It was my first gig with my Nagra VI, it all fell into place, a sort of music of the spheres moment.
The next morning I was in a classical chapel with choirs scattered around the venue and choristers north and south processing.
It certainly was a momentous weekend.
Roger
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for bringing the attention back to this 9sbean, truly beautiful work Roger!
::
Mads
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➑️
Thanks for bringing the attention back to this 9sbean, truly beautiful work Roger!
::
Mads
I recorded same repertoire in 2018. Before the recording, I review this thread again and again. But I did not use only 3 mic, which is a very challenging task. We have only 2 to 3 hours to setup, including video. So I used at least 16 microphones so that I got some freedom in the post stage. Glad the result is very nice.
πŸ“ Reply