Quantcast
InstaSnake questions - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
InstaSnake questions
Old 1st February 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 
hughesmr's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yes, Mark ... thank you for the great contribution to the discussion!
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
I was a little bored this afternoon so I spent about an hour and half in rehearsal and laid out a pair of circuit boards to make my own RJ45 snake system. I added a second RJ45 to the board because the sheet metal is pre-punched for for 6 connectors and it gives the option of inserting signals from multiple locations. Also found a box and panel that I can use to mount the same PCB. Should be a fun little project.
I also designed the board to maintain the 100 ohm impedance through the board traces, so it should work for AES42 and AES/EBU as well.
I added a few other features through jumpers to make it work for all the applications I could think up. When I get the PCB's back from the fab I'll send along some pictures. Probably a couple of weeks.
All the best,
-mark
Old 2nd February 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
@mpdonahue, what sheet metal did you use? I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 5th February 2013
  #34
Gear Addict
 
Bibster's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nate,

Did ya get around to build one, or not?

Paul
Old 10th April 2013
  #35
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I recently purchased a pair of these guys from Markertek...

Calrad Electronics Calrad 72-173 CAT5e/CAT6 Solderless RJ45 Female To Terminal Block 6 Inch Pigtail RJ45 Adapters at Markertek.com

I wired 4 xlr pigtails to both of the cat5 terminals (male xlr pigtails on one end, female on the other) I tried it out yesterday and it seemed to work, except there seemed to be a buzz on all the channels. I assume this is because I was using unshielded twisted pair. The other problem is that these cat5 solderless terminals have no way of accessing the shield in the cat5. I thought these terminals were a perfect, easy solution to making your own instasnake but I guess not (no ground, therefore no phantom power).

I think this question was asked already, but if I were to use shielded cat5, could I just twist up the foil shield and solder it to each of the grounds of all 4 xlrs? Do I need to be looking out for a certain rj45 connector in order to have this shield be effective?

I'll try and post a picture of what I've made.

Thanks in advance
Old 10th April 2013
  #36
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Cat5 solderless terminal to 4 channels of xlr

This is what I've made, but alas, no shield = noise and no phantom power.
Attached Thumbnails
InstaSnake questions-img_20130410_080751_113.jpg  
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtayl711 ➑️
I think this question was asked already, but if I were to use shielded cat5, could I just twist up the foil shield and solder it to each of the grounds of all 4 xlrs? Do I need to be looking out for a certain rj45 connector in order to have this shield be effective?
Yes, the Cat5 shield connects to all four XLR shields and pin 1 of each XLR male and female connector. When I get home from NAB, I intend to build one for myself.
Old 21st August 2016 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
I was a little bored this afternoon so I spent about an hour and half in rehearsal and laid out a pair of circuit boards to make my own RJ45 snake system. I added a second RJ45 to the board because the sheet metal is pre-punched for for 6 connectors and it gives the option of inserting signals from multiple locations. Also found a box and panel that I can use to mount the same PCB. Should be a fun little project.
I also designed the board to maintain the 100 ohm impedance through the board traces, so it should work for AES42 and AES/EBU as well.
I added a few other features through jumpers to make it work for all the applications I could think up. When I get the PCB's back from the fab I'll send along some pictures. Probably a couple of weeks.
All the best,
-mark
Would love to see this thing, if it was ever made. Mark?
Old 21st August 2016 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelab77 ➑️
Would love to see this thing, if it was ever made. Mark?
I did, they came out Very nice.
With programming jumpers I can use the same PCB to be either Male XLR, Female XLR or a combination of both in a more custom system. I can also program it to use the Shield of the Cat5/6 cable or make it a 3 channel system and use one of the pairs for ground.
This all gets mounted to a Middle Atlantic UNIV6 panel, which can be either rack mounted or go into a Redco MB series stage box.
It could also be mounted in a smaller Hammond box, but the time to cut the opening and mount the UNIV6 make it more expensive than the nice Redco MB series boxes. It would be nice if they made one that was half the height.
I also made a PCB to convert 8 XLR to a pair of parallel DB25 connectors. Same programming features as above, so it can work with analog and Tascam format AES (Like on a Horus/Hapi...).
I'll snap some pictures tonight when I get home from my recording.
All the best,
-mark
Old 22nd August 2016 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
I did, they came out Very nice.
Can't wait to see! Thanks!
Old 16th November 2016 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
mpdonahue's Avatar
I just realized that I never posted these pics. I snapped these this morning. It shows the basic module that goes into either the rack frame or stage box.
Note that the board uses controlled impedence traces for high speed AES applications.

All the best,
-mark
Attached Thumbnails
InstaSnake questions-instasnake-front.jpg   InstaSnake questions-instasnake-back.jpg  
Old 16th November 2016 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, thanks Mark for that awesome tutorial. I made the mistake of buying 1000' of Cat6e SSTP that was 23 gauge instead of 24 gauge. What a bummer. Paid $165 and practically had to give the roll away. Wouldn't fit into any connectors I could find.

Probably work great in punch-downs.

Live and learn.

D.
Old 29th November 2016 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
I did, they came out Very nice.
With programming jumpers I can use the same PCB to be either Male XLR, Female XLR or a combination of both in a more custom system. I can also program it to use the Shield of the Cat5/6 cable or make it a 3 channel system and use one of the pairs for ground.
This all gets mounted to a Middle Atlantic UNIV6 panel, which can be either rack mounted or go into a Redco MB series stage box.
It could also be mounted in a smaller Hammond box, but the time to cut the opening and mount the UNIV6 make it more expensive than the nice Redco MB series boxes. It would be nice if they made one that was half the height.
I also made a PCB to convert 8 XLR to a pair of parallel DB25 connectors. Same programming features as above, so it can work with analog and Tascam format AES (Like on a Horus/Hapi...).
I'll snap some pictures tonight when I get home from my recording.
All the best,
-mark
Sell it! I'd buy a few...
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3617 views: 396869
Avatar for Chet_Rockstone
Chet_Rockstone 11th April 2021
replies: 50 views: 52221
Avatar for monkeyxx
monkeyxx 22nd May 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump