Quantcast
Microtech Gefell M930 Love - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microtech Gefell M930 Love
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Microtech Gefell M930 Love

Why doesn't the Microtech Gefell M930 get more love around here? I've been mixing some string tracks recorded with this mic, and they sound very nice. Granted, this is in a close-mic'd studio pop string context, but based on what I'm hearing, I would not hesitate for a second to use it as a spot mic for classical. I've also heard it used to good effect on woodwinds. I don't have one, but I would absolutely love to own a pair.
The off-axis response sounds nice, good transients, real M7 capsule, and it's about the smallest (physically) large diaphragm condenser I've ever seen, so it's easy to position. What's not to love?
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for starting this - I've never had the pleasure of using an M930, but they're definitely intriguing.

It seems like in addition to spot duties, people have success using them in situations where one might usually reach for an SDC, like near-coincident pairs; if this is the case, I think they might be next on my list, at least for a tryout.
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been using them for years here. One of my favorites. In orchestras, I use them as spots for woodwinds, percussion, pianos, cello and plenty of other places. For Jazz, it is my go-to piano mic...

They're pretty good for overheads, but for a live show, the pattern is a bit sloppy for a really good sound. I prefer my Sony C48's, Sennheiser 8040's and a few other mics there.

--Ben
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are beautifully made microphones and the design is classic brilliant German engineering. (The capsule is NOT an M7, by the way.) It's a badass transducer.

However, I had one for a little while and found it too bright for my current uses, even perhaps on the edge of being a little "hard" in the upper mids. I do tend to like darker stuff, by the way, or at least warm and airy.

So, if you're looking for a dark mic, I'd say look elsewhere but if you want something on the brighter side of flat it's a serious contender.
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been claiming for your years that the top end of M930 is the best I ever heard. Every time I get to use one, I'm blown away. It's "open", smooth, detailed and clear.

They are amazing. I'd own 10 of them if I could. Killed on vocals, drum over-heads. Toms, Choirs, Pianos, Acoustic Guitars, guitar rooms, strings
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Gefell also make a version with an output transformer (M930 Ts). Top end freq response looks the same, but the bottom end extends a little further.

Both have good reviews of both on SOS.
Old 19th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Top end freq response looks the same, but the bottom end extends a little further.thanks for your sharing.
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

The SOS review of the M 930 is HERE.

The PDF of the SOS review of the M 930 Ts is HERE (the web version of this is locked for non-subscribers for 6-months as it was only reviewed in last month's issue - but anyone can read this PDF).

John
Old 19th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson ➑️
They are beautifully made microphones and the design is classic brilliant German engineering. (The capsule is NOT an M7, by the way.) It's a badass transducer.

However, I had one for a little while and found it too bright for my current uses, even perhaps on the edge of being a little "hard" in the upper mids. I do tend to like darker stuff, by the way, or at least warm and airy.

So, if you're looking for a dark mic, I'd say look elsewhere but if you want something on the brighter side of flat it's a serious contender.
Sorry if I'm spreading GS mythology by stating that the M930 has an M7 capsule. I'd read that in SOS: "The subject of this review is the M930, a compact, large-diaphragm, phantom-powered condenser cardioid microphone which uses the original Neumann-designed M7 single-sided capsule." Does anyone know what it actually is?

Also, I don't think of it as a bright mic, but that just might be differing opinions of what constitute "brightness." I would definitely classify it as "open", though.
It's also true that the polar pattern seems a little on the wide side for a cardioid. That could be good, bad, or indifferent, depending on your application. The tracks I've been working on lately do have considerable bleed from other sources. It's not a problem in this context.
Old 19th December 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The M930, M930ts, M1030, UM930, UM930 Twin, M990 all use a newly designed Gefell capsule, that is different from the lovely M7 that is outfitted in the UMT70s, MT71s, UM900, UM92.1s, M92.1s microphones. The tone of these microphones is quite different.
Old 19th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas ➑️
Sorry if I'm spreading GS mythology by stating that the M930 has an M7 capsule. I'd read that in SOS: "The subject of this review is the M930, a compact, large-diaphragm, phantom-powered condenser cardioid microphone which uses the original Neumann-designed M7 single-sided capsule." Does anyone know what it actually is?
One of the extremely rare cases where Hugh Robjohns made a mistake (or was given the wrong information).

The M930 capsule is a modern design.

Details are on the Gefell website HERE.
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It uses their "M9" capsule. Which is a more traditional design made of mylar. M7 uses PVC which begins as a liquid plastic. Mylar is lighter, easier to manufacture, and responsive, but not as even as PVC because it does not tension as evenly due to a "grain".
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any UM900 users for classical? I heard a very nice recording of violin.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
M930 vs m930ts

I was lucky to have both the M930 and the M930ts at the same time. I was waiting for the ts to arrive from Germany and my dealer gave me a M930 for a loner while I waited. I tried both, side by side, before I sent the M930 back. My impressions...

The M930 sounds wonderful to me. The M9 capsule is very articulate and clear. There is something almost brutally accurate about it and the brightness that people talk about is real, but no more so than many other LDC's. (Many have a lift somewhere up there between 6 and 12k.) I used it mostly for vocals. You want the vocals to sound good before you use this mic, I think. If they do, then they will probably sound amazing with the mic.

The M930ts has all of the clarity and fast response of the M930, but the transformer gives it a bit of "glossiness" that, in my view, makes it a bit more forgiving. More like a U87 in its "transformerness", but without the boxiness of a U87 and more articulate. It's a more flattering mic, I think, than the M930.

I like both the M930 and the M930ts. My use is mostly on my own voice. It benefits from the added shine and girth that the transformer provides. A better singer might prefer the M930. I need the M930ts. (The rest of your recording chain will, of course, matter too. If you've already got a bunch of transformers and some other harmonic distortion in your signal path then it's a more complex decision.)

I also have an M71s with the M7 capsule. The M9 and M7 capsules are not even remotely alike. Both wonderful.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice review thanksΒ‘
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you like, here are lot of real comparison samples with M930 included
VELVET SOUND
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➑️
If you like, here are lot of real comparison samples with M930 included
VELVET SOUND
Thanks for posting this! Those M930 vs. M300 comparisons are great - extremely helpful, and nice to listen to as well. Very much appreciated.
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I use a pair of MG 930T mics.

Had them on loan from the distributors but decided to keep them, they won several shoot-outs in tricky venues (against Schoeps etc).

Very fine and versatile microphones.

Haigbabe
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Greetings.

Have been using the M930 since about 2005. Love it a-plenty. Excellent detail, very low self-noise, and the beautiful build quality of Gefell. I suspect they don't get a lot of love around here because they're not "vintage" and "dull." Ooops... i mean "warm."

Just a wonderful mic for sure.

Regards,
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I ordered another M930 but now with Transformer.

I had a loane TS and was blown away how well it performs with my Metric Halo ULN-8 preamps (enhanced with Zaehl PSU)

Just for ULN - 8 users: The M930 TS in combination with some of the ULN- Charakters makes the 930 a high end mic - chameleon; 10 different Microphones in one. Awesome
Old 5th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq ➑️
I ordered another M930 but now with Transformer.

I had a loane TS and was blown away how well it performs with my Metric Halo ULN-8 preamps (enhanced with Zaehl PSU)

Just for ULN - 8 users: The M930 TS in combination with some of the ULN- Charakters makes the 930 a high end mic - chameleon; 10 different Microphones in one. Awesome
The M 930 Ts *was* voted "best studio microphone" last year.

Hugh Robjohn's SOS review of the M 930 Ts is HERE, and his review of the original M 930 is HERE.
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
A LOT of love/usage here. My go to microphone especially on location recordings. (As a matter of fact it was one of my first decent microphones those days I started to collect "keeper" mic's instead of buying the "budget" ones..) Next on my shopping list is a second one to have a pair of them. I'd love ro hear some comparison files with the transformer version..
Old 6th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by diossyakos ➑️
A LOT of love/usage here. My go to microphone especially on location recordings. (As a matter of fact it was one of my first decent microphones those days I started to collect "keeper" mic's instead of buying the "budget" ones..) Next on my shopping list is a second one to have a pair of them. I'd love ro hear some comparison files with the transformer version..
Why don't you contact Audiomonde in Budapest and see if they will lend you a Ts to compare with your transformerless version?
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wrote my own review of the M930 about ten years ago - here if it is of interest to anyone.

Virtually all of my studio gear referred to in the review has changed/been upgraded except the M930 - enough said!
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have no experience with M930, but my pair of M950 hypocardioids of the same series are possibly the best microphones I own (including newest Sennheiser 8000 series, few DPA and Pearl), and if I could have only one pair of mics for stereo they might be those M950.
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus ➑️
I have no experience with M930, but my pair of M950 hypocardioids of the same series are possibly the best microphones I own (including newest Sennheiser 8000 series, few DPA and Pearl), and if I could have only one pair of mics for stereo they might be those M950.
Very high praise. What are situations in which you first reach for other microphones, then? And do you own/use Schoeps mk21 or any other wide cardioid? I.e., how much love is particular to the mic rather than the pattern?
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
...if anybody is interested, here is a finished/released track that I used the m930TS for vocals, overhead, acoustic guitar. Although the vocals are heavily processed in the mix w/an Electra and Brute (no plugs), you get the idea of the sound of the mic.

https://soundcloud.com/cherrywood-records/01-way-out
Old 29th January 2015
anyone has direct comparison with m930 and m930ts? on vocals. im glad i found about this great company. was only familiar with nuemann.
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth ➑️
anyone has direct comparison with m930 and m930ts? on vocals. im glad i found about this great company. was only familiar with nuemann.
The M930 and M930Ts are identical, other than the transformer in the Ts.

Many people prefer the "colour" that a transformer adds when recording vocals, which is why Gefell produced the Ts version.

Not sure which country you are in; but, certainly in Europe, it's possible to borrow both versions and compare them yourself to find out which is more suitable for you.
Old 3rd February 2015
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A beautiful mic for sure. I would love to try the 950s.

I love the size of the mic.
πŸ“ Reply