Quantcast
Microtech Gefell M930 Love - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microtech Gefell M930 Love
Old 17th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should definitely send it back to Gefell. My understanding is that they don't intend their current transformerless mics to be user-serviceable.
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I wrote e-mail to Gefell.
They answered:

Quote:
Hi
Thank you for your email.
Please do not open the microphone, because we have here in Gefell special tools to open our microphones.
If you will open the microphone it can be it is damaged by false opening.
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy ➡️
Just had a session yesterday recording classical flute where we put up, in addition to a spaced pair of omni CMC65's, a UMT70S, U-87, M930 and one of my Stephen Sank-modded M160's as relatively close mics. Unfortunately, all the close mics sounded really good, so it's going to be tough to pick one. But in this case, the UMT70S is probably least desirable, not because it sounded bright or harsh at all, but because it doesn't emphasize body in the way the other three did. The M930 was stellar, sounding by far the most natural, full in the low mids and with just a hint of sheen to capture the air. The U-87 was warm and fuzzy, while the M160/77DX, with its hyper pickup pattern, sounded super intimate and warm. If she's okay with it, I'll try to post some excerpts later.
Interesting and welcome. I have a sneaky suspicion that I just might find an M930 under the christmas tree this year. One application would be flute (my daughter plays).

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Will share feedback provided Santa comes through

Cdlt
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I got my M930s on Thursday after an extended FedEx f**kup, and wouldn't you know it, one of them has a problem.

So on Monday, in the middle of the Christmas rush, I will be sending the pair back to my dealer who will turn them around and send them off to Germany. The staff at Gefell comes back on January 4th and my mics should get there just in time. My guess is just a trade out (maybe even a cross shipment which would be awesome) so I can have them back in late January for a percussion quartet recording, assuming that the job meets my high-bar for COVIS safety.

I'll keep everyone posted when I finally get them in front of some music.

D.
Old 23rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
I got my M930s on Thursday after an extended FedEx f**kup, and wouldn't you know it, one of them has a problem.

So on Monday, in the middle of the Christmas rush, I will be sending the pair back to my dealer who will turn them around and send them off to Germany. The staff at Gefell comes back on January 4th and my mics should get there just in time. My guess is just a trade out (maybe even a cross shipment which would be awesome) so I can have them back in late January for a percussion quartet recording, assuming that the job meets my high-bar for COVIS safety.

I'll keep everyone posted when I finally get them in front of some music.

D.
Oh crap you're scaring me. As per FedEx my gefell is supposed to be delivered today but its nearly 5pm and I haven't got it yet. They better not f*ck it up
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Got an email from Gefell this morning that the new pair had already shipped! Should be here by Thursday! What awesome customer service.

Tough time to be shipping expensive microphones. I have a bunch of them out there right now. Bad timing but I am hoping that it will all be okay.

Coulda-shoulda waited until after the Christmas rush to do all this but I am an impatient pony.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Got an email from Gefell this morning that the new pair had already shipped! Should be here by Thursday! What awesome customer service.

Tough time to be shipping expensive microphones. I have a bunch of them out there right now. Bad timing but I am hoping that it will all be okay.

Coulda-shoulda waited until after the Christmas rush to do all this but I am an impatient pony.

D.
That's great! Gefell's service seems to be really world-class, I've emailed them questions directly and they've always gotten back to me very graciously and thoroughly. (And with considerably better English than many Americans I know...)

If you get a chance to try out your M930s on some woodwinds, I'd love to hear what you think!

I'm in a similar boat, shipping-wise, too... putting in an order for a u87 tomorrow and don't expect to get it before mid-January at the earliest, but gotta get the purchase in before the new year for business reasons. I imagine that's happening a lot at the moment.
Old 1st January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Santa came through So here I am kicking off 2021 with at least some good news .....

As to M930, I had the same sort of moment most folks have described - the thing is surprisingly small and unobtrusive. It gets out of the way rather easily. Just oozes quality.

The sound? Effortless. I stress effortless as it just felt so easy to get a great sound. Dead quiet. A tad more low end than my 300 makes for a bit more rounded out sonic footprint.

After years of loving the M300, in terms of the application I am aiming for this just takes it up a notch. Talk about brand loyalty ...I could love everything these folks make. No need for Gefell to have "end of year" sales or agressive marketing to entice me. I'm sold (again). So yes, M930 love

Cdlt
Old 2nd January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Okay, just to tattle on myself, I made a critical error in my testing protocol and the original pair of M930s were fine as received.

I am a bit embarrassed at my rookie mistake; the fault woke me from a sound sleep at 4:30 in the morning.

In the process of contacting Gefell after the 4th and fessin' up.

Anyway, after the smoke clears, I'll be glad to own them and still have nothing but good to say about the company. Them about me? Probably not.

D.
Old 9th January 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
...the Shure shock mount for the sm81 works great with the m930ts and is only $25 or so btw.

Still got my m930ts and it's still a favorite.
Old 13th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here are some pictures of my M930 in two different mounts. Both seem to work well although I can't really imagine why I would use the Rycote USM instead of the Shure A53M "donut". That one seems perfect and also works fine to hold the Hakan P110 with Gefell M930 Clip. I got mine from John Willet. Super quick delivery.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
Microtech Gefell M930 Love-img_0579.jpg   Microtech Gefell M930 Love-img_0580.jpg   Microtech Gefell M930 Love-img_0581.jpg  
Old 13th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool! Yeah, I agree, the Rycote looks a bit overkill. Does the donut do much to isolate vibrations? I've read that can be an issue with these mics, I think from Hugh Robjohns.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are some pictures of my M930 in two different mounts.
I like the big "Front" label on the front of the mics. ;-) If you use Gefells frequently you have no trouble remembering but if you don't it's easy to forget that the polar pattern icon is shown on the front and the Microtech Gefell logo is on the back. A more marketing-oriented company would have done it the other way 'round, so it's not intuitive.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well, no "real world" testing yet on the Shure donut suspension but it has got to be better than the Gefell hard mount. I suspect that it does just fine, but that has yet to be determined in actual use.

Yeah, the "FRONT" label is just one more thing that I don't need to think about when I am doing my usual lightning fast setups.

I remember during a session a while back that the producer told me over the SA that the violin spot (a Neumann TLM170) sounded "weird". I looked at it and it was backwards.

After I turned the mic around, I told him that someone had put a hat over it.

D.
Deleted 141eef3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Cool! Yeah, I agree, the Rycote looks a bit overkill. Does the donut do much to isolate vibrations? I've read that can be an issue with these mics, I think from Hugh Robjohns.
I regularly use Gefell M930 and M950 with the Shure A53 mounts for a few years now and have never had an issue, including "high vibration risk" situations like mic'ing percussionists.

In my opinion, one of the main advantages of the Rycote mount is that it will securely hold the microphone at any angle, including upside down, etc. The Shure mount uses friction only (plus gravity) and so some orientations could be a little risky. That said, for almost all standard orientations the Shure mounts work very well in my experience.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Rycote INV 7HG MKIII is a perfect mount for either mic. I use them for my UM70S pair and although I will have two ULM (not ULM-L. Too stiff) for my M930 pair, I think I will end up using Shure donuts or the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII most often for a much lower profile. I am told that the Haken pop filter that is made for the Gefell EH93 suspension will fit on the Shure donut perfectly. I just ordered one from John Willett in the UK.

I don't do much solo vocal but I want to be properly prepared. The Hakan pop screen and the Shure donut should do it.

By the way, I have a Hakan pop filter for one of my UM70S that mounts directly to the Rycote INV 7HG MKIII.

Good combination, sweet sounding mic.

D.
Hello! I recently got a USM-L for my adorable new m930Ts, and it's very effective but very bulky, and then my gooseneck Hakan filter can barely get into a decent position in front of it. I'm about to get ahold of an INV-7HG-MarkIII to compare the effectiveness and hopefully have an equally effective mount with a much lower profile. Assuming I choose to go with the INV, I'm wondering do you ever use the M930Ts suspended upside down using that mount, and if not, would you feel secure in doing so? Also, how did you acquire the Hakan filter for the INV? I cannot find it actually listed anywhere for sale, only shown as one of the available variations on the company website? Thanks!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFox13 ➡️
Hello! I recently got a USM-L for my adorable new m930Ts, and it's very effective but very bulky, and then my gooseneck Hakan filter can barely get into a decent position in front of it. I'm about to get ahold of an INV-7HG-MarkIII to compare the effectiveness and hopefully have an equally effective mount with a much lower profile. Assuming I choose to go with the INV, I'm wondering do you ever use the M930Ts suspended upside down using that mount, and if not, would you feel secure in doing so? Also, how did you acquire the Hakan filter for the INV? I cannot find it actually listed anywhere for sale, only shown as one of the available variations on the company website? Thanks!
I've suspended an M930 upside down in a USM many times. Very secure. The USM is great, outside of the difficulty manipulating the screws with my fat fingers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I made a critical error in my testing protocol and the original pair of M930s were fine as received.

I am a bit embarrassed at my rookie mistake.
Quote:
Yeah, the "FRONT" label is just one more thing that I don't need to think about when I am doing my usual lightning fast setups.
Sorry, but I can't help raising a speculative chuckle that these two apparently unrelated things might in fact be related!

We've all done it - especially if you haven't used an M930 for a while, as might be the case for example during a pandemic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ha! No, I really already did know which side was which on the M930s. But I have certainly done it, albeit early on in my career. You should only make that mistake once, right? The M930 testing failure came from relative position to the source.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFox13 ➡️
Assuming I choose to go with the INV, I'm wondering do you ever use the M930Ts suspended upside down using that mount, and if not, would you feel secure in doing so?
The INV 7HG MKIII holds the M9xx and many others absolutely secure in any position. Nothing to worry about.
📝 Reply