Quantcast
Choir Recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Choir Recording
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Choir Recording

This is a shameless promotion for my choir St Jacobs Ungdomskör, who just finished third in the Harald Andersén International Chamber Choir competition (Harald Anders) in Helsinki, Finland. The second part of the competition and the final concert was performed in the one year old, quite awesome Concert Hall in Helsinki Music Centre. It's one of the best acoustics I've ever heard. Listen to the recording the Finish radio YLE made:

We sing 25 minutes in: Laulua kuorossa: Kooste Harald Andersén -kamarikuorokilpailun loppukilpailusta | Radio | Areena | yle.fi

They used DPA 4006's in a Decca tree, with 4006 w. APE40 acoustic pressure equalizers as surround mics, Sennheiser MKH 800 twin microphones in A/B and some Schoeps mics as spot mics.

I also feel obliged to promote the incredible Danish choir Concert Clemens who perform 32:40 in this recording. They finished in the second place. We had a blast performing together improvised after the gala concert. The German choir Consono, who shared the third place with us was also really cool and we sang a few pieces with them.

Laulua kuorossa: Kansainvälisen Harald Andersén -kamarikuorokilpailun gaalakonsertti | Radio | Areena | yle.fi

19:20 in, this is Iuppiter, as performed by St Jacobs Ungdomskör in the gala concert.
Attached Thumbnails
Choir Recording-img_4441.jpg   Choir Recording-img_4455.jpg   Choir Recording-koren.jpg  
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Congratulations and thanks a lot for pointing us to these beautiful recordings
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Excellent! Thank you for sharing.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That's an amazing looking venue. Wow!
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mats, nice! Do you know which mics were use in the mix?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mats, thanks for the post and the link. Question: the Decca Tree in the pic has what appears to be the 4006 TL's but no APE's of any dimension. What up??

I believe that this is the same gorgeous hall that recently opened in Helsinki and the Finns, if they would admit it, are justly quite proud. Thanks for keeping all of us linked to the finest concert halls in the world. How nice it must be to have halls like this built or being built. Tak!
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys! Here's a link to the web site: http://www.musiikkitalo.fi/web/en

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➡️
Mats, thanks for the post and the link. Question: the Decca Tree in the pic has what appears to be the 4006 TL's but no APE's of any dimension. What up??

I believe that this is the same gorgeous hall that recently opened in Helsinki and the Finns, if they would admit it, are justly quite proud. Thanks for keeping all of us linked to the finest concert halls in the world. How nice it must be to have halls like this built or being built. Tak!
Very nice hall indeed! All facilities around the main hall were awesome, with lots of space, smaller performing halls, dressing rooms and so on. The first part of the competition was recorded in a much smaller hall.

The APEs were mounted on a mic pair that isn't pictured. It was a very wide surround pair a few metres behind the decca tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick ➡️
Mats, nice! Do you know which mics were use in the mix?
I know I should have asked them... I counted mics but we didn't really have time to do much else but singing in the large hall.
Attached Thumbnails
Choir Recording-img_4400.jpg   Choir Recording-img_4405.jpg   Choir Recording-img_4296.jpg   Choir Recording-img_4302.jpg  
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I think most Finns (perhaps except our extreme left-wing minister of culture...) are proud of the Music Hall. I know I am. So far I've only seen Bobby McFerrin in there, but I'm very much looking forward to more acoustic experiences.

Mats, big congrats and thanks for the wonderfully inspiring music! Who was the winner?

Mathias
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The choir is excellent. The recording clip I listened to sounded phasy and was clipping (?)
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evinrude ➡️
I think most Finns (perhaps except our extreme left-wing minister of culture...) are proud of the Music Hall. I know I am. So far I've only seen Bobby McFerrin in there, but I'm very much looking forward to more acoustic experiences.

Mats, big congrats and thanks for the wonderfully inspiring music! Who was the winner?

Mathias
Thanks!

You should indeed be proud of the awesome hall!

The winning choir was the Youth Choir Maska from Latvia and the second price went to Consert Clemens of Denmark. We finished in shared third place with Consono from Germany. All in all pretty well earned results imo.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mats, you finished third in a tough field. Well done.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum ➡️
Mats, you finished third in a tough field. Well done.
Thank you! It's a very nice ego boost for our choir
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just an update. We got two CDs of all of our competition pieces, also including the gala concert. I've made it available on my web site for my choir to download. The first competition was performed in a smaller, rather dry 200 seat hall, while the second competition and gala concert were held in the big 1600 seat hall.

For anyone interested, the link to the competition pieces and all of my recordings of the choir is here.

St Jacobs Ungdomskör - Konserter
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mats, downloading now. Thanks!
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks Mats, that's so generous!

Oh, YLE might not want their material spread but hey, it's neither the first nor the last time
Old 10th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick ➡️
Mats, downloading now. Thanks!
thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinrude ➡️
Thanks Mats, that's so generous!

Oh, YLE might not want their material spread but hey, it's neither the first nor the last time
yeah.. I know, but this page is really only for my choir, I don't give it out to anyone else. Might have to restrict this link from Gearslutz though, so download before it goes down
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Then why not upload your stuff to Dropbox? https://www.dropbox.com/ That way they can only listen unless you zip the file first. It doesn't matter what format you use.

Dropbox is the neatest idea since sliced bread. I send material to clients all the time. I can have them send you an invitation (which will also get me some free storage space).

But first you will need to send me your email---

Rich
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare ➡️
Then why not upload your stuff to Dropbox? https://www.dropbox.com/ That way they can only listen unless you zip the file first. It doesn't matter what format you use.

Dropbox is the neatest idea since sliced bread. I send material to clients all the time. I can have them send you an invitation (which will also get me some free storage space).

But first you will need to send me your email---

Rich
I think I've got a subscription to Dropbox but I'm not really pleased with the performance or web space. I have 40 GB of storage at my web site for about $50 a year, people max out their internet connection downloading at >10MB/s. It's got unlimited bandwidth/month and I spread my company name in each link. I regularly upload gigabytes of files (2-7GB each) to customers and never have downtime, so I'm pretty satisfied with how it works atm... thx for the suggestion though
📝 Reply