Quantcast
Rental options and advice for classical gig - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rental options and advice for classical gig
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Rental options and advice for classical gig

I've got an opportunity to do a location gig in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I've not been "in the game" for a while. My gear has been severely scaled back over the years. I've two pair of Shure KSM141, Neumann KM184, and a pair of Russian Oktava 12's. The performance is a congregational hymn festival with chamber ensemble, children's choir, and men's choir. I plan on a KSM141 omni pair for main pickup of congregation, another KSM141 pair on the children, the KM184 pair on the men, and the Oktavas on the chamber.

This is all well. My A/D interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I planned on using its mediocre mic pres but was informed there is a budget for better gear.

I'm looking for an outfit to rent a Millennia Media HV-8D or other eight channel pre. Also, I might consider a proper 8-ch A/D. Any suggestions of an affordable rental outfit?
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fort Wayne is the home of Sweetwater. All their salespeople have home studios and get discounts on gear. There are probably 1024 good preamp and converter channels in town if you know who to ask.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Fort Wayne is the home of Sweetwater. All their salespeople have home studios and get discounts on gear. There are probably 1024 good preamp and converter channels in town if you know who to ask.
Ah, yes. This is the question. Who to ask?
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Consider renting a Sound Devices 788T from Trew Audio. Here's the link:
Nashville Recorders Rentals | Trew Audio

The 788T gives you good pres, limiters, and a recorder all in one package. No computer needed. I've rented from Trew and it has worked out well. They mail the gear to you in a Pelican case, you do your gig, then mail it back. Super easy. Gear was in good condition.

I've also rented from Gotham in NYC with luck. Same thing - they send what you need in a Pelican case.

If you're looking to chat with a Sweetwater person, anybody there can help you. You are generally assigned a person, and that person makes sure you're transactions are on target and they can provide assistance / advice.

Just my 2 cents.

-Tom
📝 Reply