First portable pro rig.... nervous about choice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First portable pro rig.... nervous about choice
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
First portable pro rig.... nervous about choice

I'm looking for my first location rig. I want to be able to do music and location sound for video. For some time, I had considered the Sound Devices 702 but now I don't think that's the right choice. I read somewhere the 7-series units have latency from Input to Output.

I'd like to be able to run 3 mics for a decca tree when recording music, otherwise stereo is fine.... but I want those to be recorded to separate tracks. That rules out the Sound Devices 302 mixer, which I had also considered.

My budget is less than $2k for the mixer/recorder and accessories. (not much, I know)

Plz throw a bone.... Is budget too limited? Am I missing some gems at lower end gear pricepoints?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I should also add.... I have done production location gigs with the production crew's audio gear (Shure FP33 direct to camera) and I've done a few music gigs tracking to laptop. Both worked but I'm looking for a more simple and streamline solution.

I'd also like to use the setup for mono/stereo field recording for SFX if the need ever arises.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$2k feeble budget for a pro kit
SD has no latentcy issues IO
However there is a SD702 on the bay at the moment for $1600
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Feeble budget indeed.... thought about saving up for the SD 664....effectively doubling the budget...

Latency: OK. So "issues" is subjective. It might not be an issue but the units do have measurable latency on IO. Add that to a camera's latency and it might cause a picky client some gripe.

This is from SD's website...
Quote:
I know that all audio signals are digitized as soon as they are input to the recorder. Also, headphone monitoring and analog outputs are always fed from the digital-to-analog converter. What is the delay (latency) from analog input to analog output?

The latency from input to output on the recorders is sample rate dependent. Whether 16 or 24 bit, these numbers are identical.

@ 48 kHz – 1.47 ms
@ 96 kHz – 0.75 ms
@ 192 kHz – 0.23 m
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You really have to decide first and foremost whether you can work with a 2 track only machine. If so, then you have quite a lot of options in your price range, the obvious ones being the SD702/722 where prices in the US seem reasonable.

The 744t only has 2 pre amps but is a 4 channel recorder so you could buy one second hand and, when you want to record a Decca Tree, run an external pre (hire for one off jobs or pick up a used one when you can afford it).

If you need a 4 track machine with 4 pre amps the market changes. The Edirol R4Pro is a budget option I guess although I cannot endorse it as Ive never used it. Perhaps the new Zaxcom Nomads are worth a look? I'm not sure what the price of a 4 channel one would be in your neck of the woods but seeing as it's a US company then it might be doable with your extended budget. Or an older Zaxcom Deva II if you can live with the workarounds (DVD RAM's etc) that can probably be picked up for around $1500 now (I'm selling mine here in the UK but shipping to the US would be prohibitive due to the flight case and all the field kit it comes with).
πŸ“ Reply