Twin Close Vocal Mics
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
I am a bit late to this thread, but this caught my eye (from kingplaya's post):

"vertically placed tater..."

:-)
Lol, yes. It's a secret Idaho-an recording trick I learned. It's a whole other (mono)culture out there!
Old 16th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel ➡️
Regarding the 12 - 18 inch spacing suggested above, vs. the closer spacing (say, 6 inches) mentioned earlier....

Which would be less sensitive to horizontal movement of the singer? I'm not sure how to think about it.
The closer are the mics, the less sensitive is the stereo recording to source motion, because the position of the source in the stereo sector relates on the difference of the sound propagation times from the source to both mics.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@didier and @dgpretzel, But the less stereo info you will have..... Almost to the point it is pointless to record in stereo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds ➡️
@didier and @dgpretzel, But the less stereo info you will have..... Almost to the point it is pointless to record in stereo.
In this context, the point is 'breadth of coverage' rather than stereo ! In other words, the ideal is to have the singer "on mic" at all times, no matter whether they are facing centre, left, right, up or down. To accomplish this we're trying to cover their possible arc(s) of movement with sufficient mics to ensure an even, on-axis pickup with no volume or tonality swings. That's the ideal. The miking proposed almost guarantees that you'll capture dual mono rather than stereo....but stretching or width enhancing can usually be done in post anyway. Too many mics picking up the same source are likely to invite comb cancellations thanks to the 3:1 rule, but we're iconoclasts here who prefer to play fast and loose with rules, aren't we Solid (if a little stretched) mono beats bad stereo in this setting.....
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The reason you record a vocal soloist in stereo is not related to them moving around.

It is so that you can "float" their voice in the stereo picture, panned however you want.

It avoids the "pasted on" effect and it avoids spoiling the stereo picture with a mono spot that ends up being turned up too loud.

Try, for example, micing the singer in stereo with two cardioids close together.
Pan one hard left and the other one at 9 o'clock. The sound image floats in space on the left of the stereo picture.

It is worth experimenting with micing many sections of the orchestra in stereo. You then have more flexibility to steer the section and better integrate them in to the main pair / 4 across the front main pick-up.
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
an old one revived....looks like a pair of Schoeps LD topped by a pair of Colette or Sennheiser MKH 80xx mics (maybe 8020 omnis ?) YouTube

There seems to be a colour version, not sure if it's visible for non Facebookers viewing ? He was born on this day 333 years ago,... - Warner Classics & Erato
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pictures in attached files from a session recorded in 2016.

Since, I have also produced recordings with women singers (soprano and mezzo).
The 2 TLM170, both set in cardio, give a very good and interesting result with women voices. This option is really easy to mix in the main, it sounds really good to my ears (and to the ears of the artists and critics also).
I find the 2 microphones a good option to capture the voice.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, they are from Utube.

Salutations,
Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
Twin Close Vocal Mics-capture1.jpg   Twin Close Vocal Mics-capture2.jpg   Twin Close Vocal Mics-capture3.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How do you avoid the jumping around in the stereo image, as the couple seems quite wide ?
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One of the reasons to place two mics in vertical alignment in front of the singer is so that if the singer's head go up and down when she sings with the music,(read and project) her voice will not go out of the coverage. You pan both mics to the center. That is what I did for Renee Fleming as the music we recorded was really hard to sing by memory.

Best regards,

Da-Hong
Deleted 141eef3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo ➡️
One of the reasons to place two mics in vertical alignment in front of the singer is so that if the singer's head go up and down when she sings with the music,(read and project) her voice will not go out of the coverage. You pan both mics to the center. That is what I did for Renee Fleming as the music we recorded was really hard to sing by memory.

Best regards,

Da-Hong
Thank you for this tip!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a much simpler solution for that. Our sf12 barely looks up over the music stand, so is quite low anyway.
When the singer singes forward, fine, when he/she looks down, fine as well. Also, being a fig8 we even get less bleed from this position.

And no jumping around, no silly phasing effects, no over the top automation in post.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick ➡️
I have a much simpler solution for that. Our sf12 barely looks up over the music stand, so is quite low anyway.
When the singer singes forward, fine, when he/she looks down, fine as well. Also, being a fig8 we even get less bleed from this position.

And no jumping around, no silly phasing effects, no over the top automation in post.
Not a simpler solution, just another.

I never had the problems you mention.

Fred.
Old 24th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick ➡️

You would get the page turns, but if no singing is happening there you could edit those out....
📝 Reply