Quantcast
Supplemental Room Mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Supplemental Room Mics
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Supplemental Room Mics

I work for a church and we are nearing capacity on the weekends. As such, we are preparing an overflow space that is just outside the Worship Center and have plans to install wall mounted speakers for our sound needs.

We want to replicate as closely as possible what it sounds like in the Worship Center for our guests in the overflow space. Our drums are loud enough in the room that we don't have to put them through the house.

My first thought was to create a matrix mix (we use Yamaha M7CL) for the overflow mix, but I'm concerned that some of our volunteers won't grasp the mix within a mix and don't think it is something that I can set and forget as we rotate band members frequently.

We then thought a combination of a matrix mix and some supplemental room mics could accomplish our needs. Something with a narrow polar pattern so they don't sound "roomy" but still translates well for our overflow mix.

Anybody have any experience, thoughts, tips, mic recommendations?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bigger worship room. :-)

I'm sure that's probably not an option though is it?

JROD
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A "recording mix" (which is for all practical purposes the same as for the overflow feed) is significantly different than the FOH reinforcement mix. Ideally the mix is created on a separate mixer by someone in an isolated acoustic work/monitoring environment. It is very difficult for the FOH operator to create a halfway-decent recording mix.

And certainly, you will need to put up microphones for things that never require reinforcement (like big pipe organs or even the congregation itself) as well as for instruments that you don't have mics on now (including amplified instruments like guitars, bass, etc.)

Are you audio/video recording the events in your church? What are you doing for the audio mix for that? The audio mix for overflow is essentially identical.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure how big your room is, or at what SPL you're mixing... but I'll offer this: We cage the drums (onstage... 5-panel ClearSonic with the carpeted 703 FiberGlas back panels, no roof... to minimize the perc bleed into everything else as well as lower the overall level to the house) and guitar amps (offstage... in enclosures made of 703 panels... same rationale) and we use IEMs to avoid wedge wash and splash.

The room is 10,000 sq ft, with 22' drywall, steel ceiling and concrete floor (rehabbed warehouse) with about 15% of the wall area treated with 4x8' and 4x4' 703 panels. With no snare or cymbals in the mix, we can maintain 88-90dBA at FOH... but I really don't care for the sound of the mix... the drums are localized to the front of the room and the cymbals are clang-y off the steel. With the PA level dumped, the room is at 84-86dB, from the kit and guitar cage bleed.

With a full mix on the kit as baseline (entire kit audible through the arrays) we are at 93-95dB at FOH, the room begins to saturate, and it feels good. We are a guitar-driven (occasionally keys and acoustic violin, mando and/or cello) style, with a bit of classic hymnody and alt-country influence. Very little soul/r&b/southern gospel influence.

For the lobby (which has flown 12/2 boxes, and is usually populated by about a dozen folks with small kids and late-arrivers), the webcast, and for the archival CD and DVD we burn at each service, I've taken two (of four) of the matrix channels (Allen&Heath GL3800) and created a baseline stereo "record mix" from the submaster (Drums, Bass, Instruments, Vocals) and the L/R/M busses (the Mono buss feeds the subwoofer amp channels). It took a couple of weeks of paying attention through decent cans, and listening to the CDs, and having folks we knew who could knowledgeably comment on the webcast mix to tweak it to a reasonably good representation of the house mix in the room.

Works for us. Don't know if any of our fixes/workarounds will be helpful...

HB

Here's a mp3 of one of the "bigger" tunes, from a June service. Had a pretty wide dynamic (an interval for a bit of video liturgy at about 4:30) and is a decent representation of what we send out/archive.
Attached Files
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…